A Day That Shook The World: Hurricane Katrina lays waste to New Orleans
Sunday 28 August 2011
On 28 August 2005, Hurricane Katrina hit the American city of New Orleans with the force of a nuclear explosion.
A state of emergency was declared as flood waters reached heights of up to 20 feet. Residents were advised to leave, but many of them, overwhelmingly poor and black, did not have the means to escape and were left stranded for days.
The government - and then-President Bush - was embarassingly slow to react, and the city languished as aid failed to reach it for four days - previously unthinkable in the world's richest country.
Watch original British Pathe footage from the crisis, above.
Life & Style blogs
Astrological signs are almost all wrong, as movement of moon and sun throws out zodiac
NHS property sale could raise £7.5bn to help pay off its growing deficit and free up space for housing
China accused of launching four-day cyber attack on US coding website GitHub
Gay marriage, one year on: Couples mark first anniversary of same-sex marriages
Robert Parker interview: The world's top wine critic on tasting 10,000 bottles a year, absurd drinking notes and New World wannabes
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 1 East 17 bandmember Brian Harvey in 'very desperate situation’
- 2 Germanwings plane crash: Video shows co-pilot Andreas Lubitz learning to fly as a teenager
- 3 Vladimir Putin says Russia will fight for the right of Palestinians to their own state
- 4 Germanwings crash: Captain of doomed plane was only 'on board because he changed job to spend more time with his children'
- 5 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Client Services Assistant is ...
£20000 - £100000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an excellent opportuni...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Duty Manager is required to join one of the ...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Team Leader is required to join one of the l...