A Day That Shook The World: Hurricane Mitch
Friday 01 April 2011
On 28 October 1998, Hurricane Mitch - a tropical storm in the south Caribbean - suddenly intensified into one of the worst hurricaines of the century.
The full destructive force of nature was turned first on Honduras and then Nicaragua - laying waste to both nations on an unprecedented scale, killing thousands and setting their development back by decades.
The world reacted with a massive relief effort, sending food aid and supplies, but the rebuilding effort would take a generation to complete.
Watch original British Pathe footage from the Hurricaine, above.
Life & Style blogs
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
Emergency data law: David Cameron plots to bring back snoopers’ charter
NUT strike: David Cameron announces crackdown on strike action ahead of mass industrial action
- 1 Belgium fan Axelle Despiegelaere lands L'Oreal campaign after World Cup viral photo
- 2 Orange Is The New Black has not been cancelled – it was a hoax
- 3 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 4 Israel-Gaza conflict: ‘Sderot cinema’ image shows Israelis with popcorn and chairs 'cheering as missiles strike Palestinian targets'
- 5 Blackest is the new black: Scientists have developed a material so dark that you can't see it...
£550 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client based in Walthamstow...
£40000 - £50000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: This excitin...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + bens: Deerfoot IT Resources Limited: PHP Developer...
£27,000-£34,000 per annum: US Embassy: An office of the US Embassy based in Be...