A Day That Shook The World: Hurricane Mitch
Friday 01 April 2011
On 28 October 1998, Hurricane Mitch - a tropical storm in the south Caribbean - suddenly intensified into one of the worst hurricaines of the century.
The full destructive force of nature was turned first on Honduras and then Nicaragua - laying waste to both nations on an unprecedented scale, killing thousands and setting their development back by decades.
The world reacted with a massive relief effort, sending food aid and supplies, but the rebuilding effort would take a generation to complete.
Watch original British Pathe footage from the Hurricaine, above.
Life & Style blogs
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Tony Blair attacks Jeremy Corbyn's 'Alice In Wonderland' politics
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up
- 1 VMAs 2015: Was Nicki Minaj and Miley Cyrus' awkward acceptance put-down real or staged?
- 2 If you're not already angry about the migrant crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
- 3 Rules on 5p plastic bags likely to lead to arguments at the check-out
- 4 Chaos breaks out in courtroom as father attacks killer of three-year-old daughter
- 5 I like Corbyn, but let's face it: we don't need another white man at the head of a political party
£35000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will be working with a 8 st...
£8000 - £12000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A unique opportunity has arisen ...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: An exceptional opportunity has arisen for a pa...
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This provider of designer kitch...