A Day That Shook The World: iPod released
Friday 01 April 2011
On 23 October 2001, the music industry was revolutionised forever with the release of the Apple iPod.
The iPod wasn't the first mp3 player on the market, but it was the first one to reach mass appeal. This small, white oblong changed everything about the music industry, and the ramifications are still being felt.
It became a status symbol, earning Apple tens of billions of pounds, turning a hip, niche firm into one of the biggest tech companies on the planet.
Watch original British Pathe footage from the early days of the iPod, above.
Life & Style blogs
Revenge porn: Why do campaigners want it to be criminalised?
Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
The Fappening: After the third wave of leaked celebrity photos, why can't we stop it?
iOS 8: how to free up memory on your iPhone or iPad to install the update
The truth about student sex workers: it's far from Belle Du Jour
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
'Women, walk wherever you want' posters taken down in Stamford Hill following 'unacceptable' signs separating men and women
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 3 The Simpsons death: Creator Al Jean would 'kill himself' before character like Homer or Lisa
- 4 British man raped while urinating in bushes at Oktoberfest beer festival in Germany
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- < Previous
- Next >
£18000 per annum: Ashdown Group: An established and growing IT Consultancy fir...
£24000 per annum: Ashdown Group: An established and growing IT Consultancy fir...
£40000 - £45000 per annum + pension, healthcare,25 days: Ashdown Group: An est...
£100 - £110 per day: Randstad Education Group: Science Supply Teacher position...