A Day That Shook The World: Le Mans 24 race disaster
Friday 10 June 2011
On 11 June 1955, the famous Le Mans 24-hour race ended in tragedy when a Mercedes flipped and crashed into the crowd, killing 84 people and injuring hundreds more.
The race was the fastest ever, faster than Formula 1 at the time, while safety measures were limited, especially by modern standards. Amazingly, organisers allowed the race to continue, allowing Mike Hawthorn to cruise to a subdued victory in his Jaguar.
Watch dramatic original footage from the crash in this British Pathé video, above.
Life & Style blogs
Report finds English children among the unhappiest in world
Sheridan Le Fanu: Google Doodle marks birthday of Irish writer
The ALS Association doesn't yet know what to do with all this ice bucket challenge money
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
The science of saturated fat: A big fat surprise about nutrition?
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- 1 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 4 Homer Simpson takes the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he does
- 5 Hello Kitty is not a cat after all
- < Previous
- Next >
Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: CITY - An excellent new instruction w...
£500 per day: Harrington Starr: SQL Server Developer SQL, PHP, C#, Real Time,...
£600 per day: Harrington Starr: C#.NET Developer C#, Win Forms, WPF, WCF, MVVM...