A Day That Shook The World: Lord Mountbatten assassinated by IRA
Friday 26 August 2011
On 27 August 1979, the Queen's cousin Earl Mountbatten of Burma was killed by an IRA bomb while on holiday in Ireland.
He had been in a small fishing boat with his 14-year-old grandson and a local boatman, when the IRA 'executed' him, shocking the nation.
The funeral was attended by dignitaries from across the commonwealth.
Watch original footage from the funeral in this British Pathé video, above.
Life & Style blogs
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Tony Blair attacks Jeremy Corbyn's 'Alice In Wonderland' politics
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn
- 1 A daily walk 'can add seven years to your life'
- 2 Rules on 5p plastic bags likely to lead to arguments at the check-out
- 3 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
- 4 News agency criticised for describing Amal Clooney as 'actor's wife' in coverage of human rights trial
- 5 If men are so obsessed by their genitals, why do they clam up when confronted with the grisly realities of sex?
£28000 - £37000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£22000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company's mission is to ma...
£13832 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This 5 star leisure destination on the w...
£20000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Sales Account Manager is requ...