A Day That Shook The World: Queen Victoria's funeral
Wednesday 02 February 2011
On 2 February 1901 the body of Queen Victoria was given a state funeral in London.
The Queen had died aged 81 just ten days earlier, ending a 63-year reign.
Having ascended to the throne at 18 with her marriage to Prince Albert, she was left as sole ruler after his death just 20 years later and spent the remainder of her life in mourning.
Her son Edward VII took the throne aged 62 after his mother's death and would rule for only 9 years before his own.
Watch remarkably early footage of Victoria's funeral courtesy of British Pathe (above)
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Nelson Mandela life story: An unconquerable spirit
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
£40000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitment Company...
£50000 - £60000 Per Annum experience dependent: The Green Recruitment Company:...
£25000 - £30000 Per Annum dependent on experience: The Green Recruitment Compa...
£18000 - £20000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: IT Project Adminis...