A Day That Shook The World: Queen Victoria's funeral
Wednesday 02 February 2011
On 2 February 1901 the body of Queen Victoria was given a state funeral in London.
The Queen had died aged 81 just ten days earlier, ending a 63-year reign.
Having ascended to the throne at 18 with her marriage to Prince Albert, she was left as sole ruler after his death just 20 years later and spent the remainder of her life in mourning.
Her son Edward VII took the throne aged 62 after his mother's death and would rule for only 9 years before his own.
Watch remarkably early footage of Victoria's funeral courtesy of British Pathe (above)
Life & Style blogs
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Jeremy Clarkson is a cultural tumour and needs to be removed, says comedian Frankie Boyle
- 1 Gun instructor accidentally shot dead by nine-year-old girl with Uzi gun
- 2 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 3 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 4 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 5 Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has
- < Previous
- Next >
£40000 - £48000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: C# Devel...
£45000 - £60000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: C# Swift...
£55000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Front-End Deve...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Graduate C# De...