A Day That Shook The World: Thatcher sends a taskforce to the Falklands
Wednesday 09 March 2011
On 3 April 1982, in response to the Argentine invasion of the Falklands, Margaret Thatcher decided to send a military taskforce 8,000 miles across the world to take the Islands back.
There were doubts that a war could be fought at such a great distance, but within three months Britain had prevailed.
Watch original footage from the departure of the taskforce in this British Pathé video, above.
A cautionary tale for ambitious would-be authors
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 4 Newly vegan Beyoncé wears fox fur to dine in meat free restaurant
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Server Side De...
£60000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Senior QA Engineer Tes...
£40000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits : Harrington Starr: C# .NET Developer (P...
£44000 - £55000 per annum + Excellent Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Confide...