A Day That Shook The World: the Battle of El Alamein begins
Friday 04 March 2011
On 23 October 1942, the battle that Winston Churchill described as 'not the end...not even the beginning of the end, but...perhaps the end of the beginning' began.
Allied troops from across the world were led to their first major victory by Field Marshall Montgomery near the town of El Alamein in north east Egypt. Historians consider this battle to be one of the major turning points in World War 2.
Watch original footage from the battle in this British Pathé video, above.
Life & Style blogs
Sony Xperia Z4 Tablet: beautiful screen and slim body mean Android finally has an iPad rival
Another transgender model lands contract with top agency IMG
Man charged £223,000 for six craft beers
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
Video claims California will be hit by huge earthquake because of the alignment of the planets — but it’s probably wrong
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'
- 1 Stolen Instagram photo sells for $90,000
- 2 Before you complain about your GP, this is what you need to know about actually doing the job
- 3 UK's biggest male rape charity Survivors UK has state funding slashed to zero despite 120% rise in men reporting sexual violence and seeking help
- 4 'Don't blame all men for rape' campaign backfires spectacularly
- 5 Charlie Charlie Challenge explained: not a Mexican demon being summoned — it's gravity
£30000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity for a t...
£35000 - £50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This global provider of call ce...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: By developing intimate relationships with inte...
£18000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A small rapidly expanding IT So...