A Day That Shook The World: Zeebrugge ferry disaster
Thursday 03 March 2011
On 6 March 1987 193 people were killed when the British ferry Herald Of Free Enterprise capsized off the coast of Belgium.
The ferry overturned without warning only a mile outside Belgian port Zeebrugge, pitching hundreds of people into deathly cold water. Despite the best efforts of rescue crews, it became the worst ferry disaster in British history.
Watch original footage from the disaster and rescue operation in this British Pathé video, above.
Culinary experts in The Netherlands thought it was 'fresh' and 'tasty'
Life & Style blogs
Nokia no more: Microsoft drops once-ubiquitous mobile name – in favour of its Lumia brand
A cup of tea is every worker's right
Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
Fake goats’ cheese found in supermarkets
Handy hacks that make life easier: New book reveals how to rid your inbox of spam, protect your passwords and amplify your iPhone
- 1 Nokia no more: Microsoft drops once-ubiquitous mobile name – in favour of its Lumia brand
- 2 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery: 'I'm living a more fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 3 Jimmy Carr's controversial Oscar Pistorius joke goes too far at the Q Awards
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 NHS staff banned from drinking tea or coffee on the job because it looks like they're not working hard enough
competitive + bonus + benefits: Sauce Recruitment: A global entertainment busi...
£35000 per annum: Ashdown Group: This new opportunity has responsibilities des...
£19200 - £33600 per annum + pre 12 week AWR : Randstad Education Manchester Se...
Main Teacher Pay Scale : Randstad Education Leeds: Physics Teacher January 201...