Home life: Tip of the week - Replacing a cracked tile
Sunday 11 October 1998
1. Wear safety spectacles and protective gloves because tiles can break into sharp splinters. Use a drill and a masonry bit to drill a hole in the middle of the cracked tile.
2. Use a hammer and old wood chisel to get the pieces of cracked tile off the wall. Working gently, tap the chisel into the hole you've just drilled and use it as a lever to prise out the sections of cracked tile.
3. Once you've got the bits of tile out, chisel out the old adhesive. Do this by gently tapping and aiming to remove a little at a time. If this is tough going and you have a blow torch, use it to heat up the blade of a paint scraper. Don't use the blow torch directly on the adhesive.
4. Spread some wall tile adhesive on the back of the new tile and press it into position. Getting the right amount of adhesive is crucial; if you use too much glue, the new tile will stick out from the rest. Not enough adhesive will mean it sinks in too far. If you don't get it right first time, prise the tile off straight away and scrape off - or add more - adhesive.
5. Once the tile is in place, push the bare end of a few matchsticks into the grout gap or use purpose-made tile spacers. Wipe any extra adhesive off with a damp sponge.
6. Leave to set and then pull out the matchsticks. Grout in the tile. Use the blunt end of a pencil to push the grout into the gap around the tile. Use a damp sponge to wipe off any grout on the tile.
Life & Style blogs
The Evil Within preview: a survival horror fan’s best worst nightmare
Porn film production likely to stop in Los Angeles after actor tests positive for HIV
The 3D-printed key that can unlock anything
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
The science of saturated fat: A big fat surprise about nutrition?
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Joan Rivers: 'Palestinians deserve to be dead'
- 3 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 4 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 5 It's not just the savagery of Isis that is shocking – its weaponry is too
- < Previous
- Next >
£60000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Senior Data Sc...
Highly Attractive Salary: Austen Lloyd: BRISTOL - This is a very unusual law c...
£28000 - £30000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Junior VB.NET ...
£40000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Web De...