Home life: Tip of the week - Replacing a cracked tile
Sunday 11 October 1998
1. Wear safety spectacles and protective gloves because tiles can break into sharp splinters. Use a drill and a masonry bit to drill a hole in the middle of the cracked tile.
2. Use a hammer and old wood chisel to get the pieces of cracked tile off the wall. Working gently, tap the chisel into the hole you've just drilled and use it as a lever to prise out the sections of cracked tile.
3. Once you've got the bits of tile out, chisel out the old adhesive. Do this by gently tapping and aiming to remove a little at a time. If this is tough going and you have a blow torch, use it to heat up the blade of a paint scraper. Don't use the blow torch directly on the adhesive.
4. Spread some wall tile adhesive on the back of the new tile and press it into position. Getting the right amount of adhesive is crucial; if you use too much glue, the new tile will stick out from the rest. Not enough adhesive will mean it sinks in too far. If you don't get it right first time, prise the tile off straight away and scrape off - or add more - adhesive.
5. Once the tile is in place, push the bare end of a few matchsticks into the grout gap or use purpose-made tile spacers. Wipe any extra adhesive off with a damp sponge.
6. Leave to set and then pull out the matchsticks. Grout in the tile. Use the blunt end of a pencil to push the grout into the gap around the tile. Use a damp sponge to wipe off any grout on the tile.
Life & Style blogs
Ebola outbreak: Why has a disease that's only ever killed 2,000 people captivated the darkest side of our imagination?
Ebola virus: UK health officials issue warning to doctors as experts admit the outbreak 'is not under control'
National Orgasm Day: Don't get caught up on climaxing
Watch: Vogue Italia's plus-size models in fetish-inspired lingerie shoot
Ebola: UK is ready to deal with outbreak, says Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
- 1 Russell Brand accuses FOX News anchor Sean Hannity of terrorism after aggressive Israel-Gaza debate
- 2 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 3 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 4 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- 5 'Hello mum, this is going to be hard for you to read ...'
- < Previous
- Next >
£35000 - £40000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: .Mid Level V...
£40000 - £45000 per annum + Competitive Benefits: Progressive Recruitment: Dig...
£40000 - £50000 per annum + Car, Medical, Fuel + More!: Progressive Recruitmen...
£50000 - £60000 per annum + benefits: Progressive Recruitment: An absolutely o...