Home life: Tip of the week - Replacing a cracked tile
Sunday 11 October 1998
1. Wear safety spectacles and protective gloves because tiles can break into sharp splinters. Use a drill and a masonry bit to drill a hole in the middle of the cracked tile.
2. Use a hammer and old wood chisel to get the pieces of cracked tile off the wall. Working gently, tap the chisel into the hole you've just drilled and use it as a lever to prise out the sections of cracked tile.
3. Once you've got the bits of tile out, chisel out the old adhesive. Do this by gently tapping and aiming to remove a little at a time. If this is tough going and you have a blow torch, use it to heat up the blade of a paint scraper. Don't use the blow torch directly on the adhesive.
4. Spread some wall tile adhesive on the back of the new tile and press it into position. Getting the right amount of adhesive is crucial; if you use too much glue, the new tile will stick out from the rest. Not enough adhesive will mean it sinks in too far. If you don't get it right first time, prise the tile off straight away and scrape off - or add more - adhesive.
5. Once the tile is in place, push the bare end of a few matchsticks into the grout gap or use purpose-made tile spacers. Wipe any extra adhesive off with a damp sponge.
6. Leave to set and then pull out the matchsticks. Grout in the tile. Use the blunt end of a pencil to push the grout into the gap around the tile. Use a damp sponge to wipe off any grout on the tile.
Life & Style blogs
Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
Hard line on immigration could cost Tories the election
- 1 Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
- 2 Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Rashida Jones speaks out against male-centric porn saying 'women should have sex and feel good about it'
£15000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Now our rapidly expanding and A...
£15000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you passionate about great ...
£20000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This fast growing reinforcing s...
£18000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This fast growing reinforcing s...