How to avoid losing your home if you lose your job

Now that very few people can expect a job for life, taking out mortgage payment protection couldn't be more important.

FOR MANY people, making sure that they can keep up their mortgage payments is a fundamental part of their personal welfare state provision. Mortgage payment protection is an effective, but expensive, way of doing that. Employment patterns have changed dramatically in recent years and unless your insurance arrangements reflect this, you could be in for a rude awakening if anything goes wrong.

Today, many people who would once have expected a job for life are on short-term contracts, have already experienced redundancy, or have set up their own business and are now self-employed. Now, however, these people can insure against redundancy as well as against illness or disability. For most people, their mortgage is their biggest monthly commitment. If they can no longer afford to pay the mortgage then they may well lose their home.

If they are forced to sell, they are unlikely to achieve the best sale price and getting a future mortgage can be difficult, or impossible if there are serious arrears.

Once, the State would pay the mortgage if illness or redundancy hit. Since 1995, after some high-profile cases where once-wealthy individuals had their six-figure mortgages paid by taxpayers, help is restricted to mortgages up to pounds 100,000.

The State will only pay interest - which means the outstanding capital will not fall - and only then from nine months after you first claim. If you still qualify, but your partner works more than 24 hours a week or you have more than pounds 8,000 of savings, you can't claim the benefit.

What you can do is to take out mortgage-payment protection. This is not the same as mortgage-protection, which is life assurance that pays off your mortgage if you die. It is one of the cheapest forms of life assurance, not least because with a repayment mortgage, the capital you owe goes down each year.

When you have a mortgage, your lender is likely to try to persuade you to take out its mortgage payment protection (MPP) policy, sometimes also called ASU, or accident, sickness and unemployment. But less than one in three of us, 28 per cent, have such cover, whereas the Government and industry body, the Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML), wants to see an increase to 55 per cent.

To help, the CML has drawn up a list of policy requirements that its members must now have on their policies. A typical policy will pay out 30 or 60 days after you are made redundant or can no longer work due to illness or accident and pay your mortgage costs for up to 12 months until you are able to return to work. A number of exclusions apply, although these are usually what you might expect - self-inflicted injury, taking part in a crime, pregnancy, or war, for example.

In the past some policies did not cover the self-employed or those on contract but most now cover contract workers provided that the contract has been renewed more than once, and small businesses if the firm goes out of business.

Specialists such as John Charcol will sell policies to existing as well as to new borrowers, often undercut lenders' rates and can provide protection over and above the monthly mortgage payment. That can be useful as otherwise you may be able to pay the mortgage but still have little or nothing to live on.

To work out what cover would cost, multiply your monthly mortgage cost in hundreds of pounds, by the premium rate. So, if you pay pounds 400 a month for all your mortgage costs, including insurance, and you are with the Woolwich, you would pay four times pounds 5.75, or pounds 23 a month.

The maximum amount you could receive would be pounds 400 times 12 or pounds 4,800, so cover is not cheap, and the insurance company has the right not to renew the policy or, in some cases, can give you just 90 days notice if they decide that the risk is getting too great - if we had another major recession for example.

T he writer is publishing editor of `HealthCare Insurance Report'

Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Life and Style
ebookNow available in paperback
Life and Style
ebooksA superb mix of recipes serving up the freshest of local produce in a delicious range of styles
The 67P/CG comet as seen from the Philae lander
scienceThe most important scientific breakthroughs of 2014
Arts and Entertainment
Ian McKellen as Gandalf in The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies
Arts and Entertainment
Sarah Koenig, creator of popular podcast Serial, which is to be broadcast by the BBC
tvReview: The secret to the programme's success is that it allows its audience to play detective
Ruby Wax has previously written about her mental health problems in her book Sane New World
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

ES Rentals

    iJobs Job Widget
    iJobs General

    Recruitment Genius: Sales Executives - OTE £60,000

    £25000 - £60000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you passionate about Custom...

    Recruitment Genius: Care Workers Required - The London Borough of Bromley

    £15000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This homecare agency is based in Beckenh...

    Recruitment Genius: Sales Executives - OTE £50,000

    £25000 - £50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you passionate about Custom...

    Recruitment Genius: Sales Executives - OTE £50,000

    £25000 - £50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you passionate about Custom...

    Day In a Page

    Homeless Veterans appeal: 'You look for someone who's an inspiration and try to be like them'

    Homeless Veterans appeal

    In 2010, Sgt Gary Jamieson stepped on an IED in Afghanistan and lost his legs and an arm. He reveals what, and who, helped him to make a remarkable recovery
    Could cannabis oil reverse the effects of cancer?

    Could cannabis oil reverse effects of cancer?

    As a film following six patients receiving the controversial treatment is released, Kate Hilpern uncovers a very slippery issue
    The Interview movie review: You can't see Seth Rogen and James Franco's Kim Jong Un assassination film, but you can read about it here

    The Interview movie review

    You can't see Seth Rogen and James Franco's Kim Jong Un assassination film, but you can read about it here
    Serial mania has propelled podcasts into the cultural mainstream

    How podcasts became mainstream

    People have consumed gripping armchair investigation Serial with a relish typically reserved for box-set binges
    Jesus Christ has become an unlikely pin-up for hipster marketing companies

    Jesus Christ has become an unlikely pin-up

    Kevin Lee Light, aka "Jesus", is the newest client of creative agency Mother while rival agency Anomaly has launched Sexy Jesus, depicting the Messiah in a series of Athena-style poses
    Rosetta space mission voted most important scientific breakthrough of 2014

    A memorable year for science – if not for mice

    The most important scientific breakthroughs of 2014
    Christmas cocktails to make you merry: From eggnog to Brown Betty and Rum Bumpo

    Christmas cocktails to make you merry

    Mulled wine is an essential seasonal treat. But now drinkers are rediscovering other traditional festive tipples. Angela Clutton raises a glass to Christmas cocktails
    5 best activity trackers

    Fitness technology: 5 best activity trackers

    Up the ante in your regimen and change the habits of a lifetime with this wearable tech
    Frank Warren column: 2014 – boxing is back and winning new fans

    Frank Warren: Boxing is back and winning new fans

    2014 proves it's now one of sport's biggest hitters again
    Jeb Bush vs Hillary Clinton: The power dynamics of the two first families

    Jeb Bush vs Hillary Clinton

    Karen Tumulty explores the power dynamics of the two first families
    Stockholm is rivalling Silicon Valley with a hotbed of technology start-ups

    Stockholm is rivalling Silicon Valley

    The Swedish capital is home to two of the most popular video games in the world, as well as thousands of technology start-ups worth hundreds of millions of pounds – and it's all happened since 2009
    Did Japanese workers really get their symbols mixed up and display Santa on a crucifix?

    Crucified Santa: Urban myth refuses to die

    The story goes that Japanese store workers created a life-size effigy of a smiling "Father Kurisumasu" attached to a facsimile of Our Lord's final instrument of torture
    Jennifer Saunders and Kate Moss join David Walliams on set for TV adaptation of The Boy in the Dress

    The Boy in the Dress: On set with the stars

    Walliams' story about a boy who goes to school in a dress will be shown this Christmas
    La Famille Bélier is being touted as this year's Amelie - so why are many in the deaf community outraged by it?

    Deaf community outraged by La Famille Bélier

    The new film tells the story of a deaf-mute farming family and is being touted as this year's Amelie
    10 best high-end laptops

    10 best high-end laptops

    From lightweight and zippy devices to gaming beasts, we test the latest in top-spec portable computers