Inadequate insurance can cost a fortune

Check you have the right cover before a disaster, not after, says Harvey Jones

Your home is by far the most valuable thing you own, so make sure it's properly insured against nasties such as burglary, fire, flood, subsidence and accidental damage. One in six homeowners has no buildings insurance, which protects your bricks and mortar plus any permanent fixtures such as fitted kitchens and bathrooms. And one in four has no insurance for their home contents, which covers everything you would take if you moved.

Going without could cost you tens of thousands of pounds, so don't take the chance. When buying or renewing cover, shop around and scrutinise the small print of your chosen policy. Most people only discover what is - and isn't - covered when they make a claim.

The average premium for buildings cover is pounds 209, and pounds 151 for contents, according to AA Insurance; but you can cut your premiums by up to 30 per cent by shopping around. Insurers such as Churchill Insurance, Esure, Direct Line and Tesco Personal Finance offer discounts for buying online.

Watch out for premium hikes at renewal. Insurers often woo new customers with tempting discounts, then sneakily boost premiums in future years. You may get a discount if you buy buildings and contents cover from the same insurer, plus further discounts if you also have its motor insurance. But make sure rates on all these products are competitive. You are not obliged to buy cover from your mortgage lender, which can include a hefty mark-up. Again, shop around.

Calculate the correct level of buildings cover. This should cover the full cost of rebuilding your home - not its market value. If you have converted your loft or added an extension, increase cover in line with the new rebuilding value.

Don't underestimate the value of your contents. If your belongings are insured for pounds 15,000 but are worth pounds 30,000, your insurer will only pay half of any claim. Alternatively, you can choose a policy offering "unlimited cover".

Tell your insurer about any expensive individual items, says Neil Thomas, director of IFA Simpsons, of Brighton. "Many require proof of purchase or valuation certificates for items above pounds 1,000 or so. You may need separate cover for more valuable items such as jewellery and antiques."

Check whether your policy offers "new for old" cover, or makes deductions for wear and tear. Also consider all-risks cover, to protect valuables outside the home, including on holiday. If you do this, you can save money by excluding personal possessions cover from your travel insurance.

Check you have the right security locks. Cilla Black had a pounds 1 million burglary claim rejected because she failed to install locks on her downstairs windows, where burglars broke in. Sharon Osbourne suffered a similar fate last year. Installing an approved burglar alarm or secure locks should cut down your premiums.

Consider paying premium annually rather than monthly. "Some insurers charge up to 30 per cent APR to pay monthly, costing you an extra pounds 20 a year," says Richard Mason, director of the price-comparison website Also check how much excess you will pay on any claim.

Where possible, seek prior approval before paying for any work and keep all receipts for work done. Take photos of the damage before work starts and keep any damaged or destroyed goods for your insurer to inspect. Get a couple of estimates from different builders - your insurer can usually recommend approved tradespeople.

If your property has previously suffered flood or subsidence, you might struggle to get cover elsewhere. Insurers have a "gentleman's agreement" to continue covering existing customers whose homes are in flood- or subsidence- prone areas, or have made previous claims - which is better than not getting any cover at all.

If you are unhappy with the way your insurance company has handled your claim, first complain directly to them. If still unhappy, take your grievance to the Financial Ombudsman Service (0845 080 1800,

Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Life and Style
ebookNow available in paperback
ebookPart of The Independent’s new eBook series The Great Composers
Life and Style
Arts and Entertainment
The Ridiculous Six has been produced by Adam Sandler, who also stars in it
filmNew controversy after nine Native American actors walked off set
Ed Miliband, Nick Clegg and David Cameron appeal to the audience during the Question Time special
Danny Jones was in the Wales squad for the 2013 World Cup
rugby leagueKeighley Cougars half-back was taken off after just four minutes
Life and Style
Google celebrates Bartolomeo Cristofori's 360th birthday
techGoogle Doodle to the rescue
Life and Style
The original ZX Spectrum was simple to plug into your TV and get playing on
techThirty years on, the ZX Spectrum is back, after a fashion
  • Get to the point
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

ES Rentals

    iJobs Job Widget
    iJobs General

    Recruitment Genius: Senior Digital Marketing Consultant

    £28000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Senior Digital Marketing Cons...

    Recruitment Genius: Assistant Stores Keeper

    £16640 - £18500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An Assistant Stores Keeper is r...

    Recruitment Genius: Claims Administrator

    £16000 - £18500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an excellent opportunit...

    Recruitment Genius: Software Developer - C# / ASP.NET / SQL

    £17000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Developer required to join a bu...

    Day In a Page

    Fishing for votes with Nigel Farage: The Ukip leader shows how he can work an audience as he casts his line to the disaffected of Grimsby

    Fishing is on Nigel Farage's mind

    Ukip leader casts a line to the disaffected
    Who is bombing whom in the Middle East? It's amazing they don't all hit each other

    Who is bombing whom in the Middle East?

    Robert Fisk untangles the countries and factions
    China's influence on fashion: At the top of the game both creatively and commercially

    China's influence on fashion

    At the top of the game both creatively and commercially
    Lord O’Donnell: Former cabinet secretary on the election and life away from the levers of power

    The man known as GOD has a reputation for getting the job done

    Lord O'Donnell's three principles of rule
    Rainbow shades: It's all bright on the night

    Rainbow shades

    It's all bright on the night
    'It was first time I had ever tasted chocolate. I kept a piece, and when Amsterdam was liberated, I gave it to the first Allied soldier I saw'

    Bread from heaven

    Dutch survivors thank RAF for World War II drop that saved millions
    Britain will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power - Labour

    How 'the Axe' helped Labour

    UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power
    Rare and exclusive video shows the horrific price paid by activists for challenging the rule of jihadist extremists in Syria

    The price to be paid for challenging the rule of extremists

    A revolution now 'consuming its own children'
    Welcome to the world of Megagames

    Welcome to the world of Megagames

    300 players take part in Watch the Skies! board game in London
    'Nymphomaniac' actress reveals what it was really like to star in one of the most explicit films ever

    Charlotte Gainsbourg on 'Nymphomaniac'

    Starring in one of the most explicit films ever
    Robert Fisk in Abu Dhabi: The Emirates' out-of-sight migrant workers helping to build the dream projects of its rulers

    Robert Fisk in Abu Dhabi

    The Emirates' out-of-sight migrant workers helping to build the dream projects of its rulers
    Vince Cable interview: Charging fees for employment tribunals was 'a very bad move'

    Vince Cable exclusive interview

    Charging fees for employment tribunals was 'a very bad move'
    Iwan Rheon interview: Game of Thrones star returns to his Welsh roots to record debut album

    Iwan Rheon is returning to his Welsh roots

    Rheon is best known for his role as the Bastard of Bolton. It's gruelling playing a sadistic torturer, he tells Craig McLean, but it hasn't stopped him recording an album of Welsh psychedelia
    Russell Brand's interview with Ed Miliband has got everyone talking about The Trews

    Everyone is talking about The Trews

    Russell Brand's 'true news' videos attract millions of viewers. But today's 'Milibrand' interview introduced his resolutely amateurish style to a whole new crowd
    Morne Hardenberg interview: Cameraman for BBC's upcoming show Shark on filming the ocean's most dangerous predator

    It's time for my close-up

    Meet the man who films great whites for a living