Inquiry into day centre stabbing: An inquiry has been launched into the death of a man at a mental health day centre in Stratford.
Friday 05 August 1994
The man charged with his murder also attended the Worland Centre, run by Newham council.
Deborah Cameron, director of social services for Newham, said an immediate investigation had been started and a full independent inquiry would follow.
According to the council, members of staff tried to help the victim but were unable to prevent the killing.
The social services department is providing support to users of the centre who have been seriously traumatised by the incident.
Mrs Cameron said: 'I am not sure what security measures can guard against someone who is determined to commit an extremely violent offence. I am horrified by what happened.
Stephen Laudat, 25, from Canning Town, has been charged with murder and been remanded in custody by magistrates.
Life & Style blogs
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Rochester aftermath: Sacking of Emily Thornberry will make work of Labour MPs '10 times harder'
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
£25k + commission + benefits: Savvy Media Ltd: Find a job you love and never h...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: CORPORATE - Corporate Solicitor NQ+ An excelle...
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: A trustee (company d...
£45000 - £65000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...