Jazz and Blues
Saturday 04 October 1997
Saxophonist Bob Berg - who gained a certain fame as one of the few white musicians to play with Miles Davis - also has a new record out on Stretch. Though widely regarded as a fine mainstream player, his writing has not always impressed the critics. Perhaps understandably then, he has resorted to other people's work and - as the title, Another Standard suggests - come up with an album that shows him fooling around with such familiar material as "You and the night and the music", "My man's gone now" and the Beatles' "Michelle". Berg, who begins a week at Ronnie Scott's on Monday (0171-439 0747), is on good form, accompanied by a tidy rhythm section and on some numbers by trumpeter Randy Brecker and Mike Stern, a guitarist with whom he has recorded for years.
Life & Style blogs
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish Independence Referendum: Salmond described as 'arrogant, ambitious and dishonest' by Scottish women
- 1 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns aged 27
- 3 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
- 4 Nicki Minaj finally releases predictable 'Anaconda' video
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
£45000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Quantitative Analyst (Financial Services, ...
Negotiable: Harrington Starr: Application Support Engineer (C++, .NET, VB, Per...
Negotiable: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Software Developer (Client-Side, SQL, VB...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C# Developer (...