Letter: Carla: the best pasta cook in London
Sunday 10 January 1999
YOUR ARTICLE on Carla Powell, "Her part in Peter's fall" (2 January), was a disgraceful farrago of sneer, smear and innuendo, full of inaccuracies.
As one example, you recycle a claim that Jimmy Goldsmith disparaged her connection to his Referendum Party; she and her husband, Charles, were staying with me when that claim was first published - Goldsmith called to say it was completely untrue and he recommended she sue. Your behaviour suggests she should have done so.
I have known Carla Powell for almost 30 years. She is a wonderful friend - as her loyalty to Peter Mandelson shows. She is also generous, articulate and very good fun. She adds value wherever she goes - which is more than can be said of your paper in its present mean-spirited mode.
You owe her at the very least a handsome apology.
St Mawes, Cornwall
Life & Style blogs
Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crash: 'Nine Britons, 23 Americans and 80 children' feared dead after Boeing passenger jet is 'shot down' near Ukraine-Russia border
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia
- 1 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 2 Louis van Gaal gets tough with Manchester United players, with Darren Fletcher and Luke Shaw berated in public and Phil Jones left looking bemused
- 3 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 4 Peaches Geldof inquest: Tragic final moments of socialite's life reveal she lied to husband about failed heroin tests
- 5 Israel has discovered that it's no longer so easy to get away with murder in the age of social media
£35000 - £45000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: If you're pa...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: SAP Business...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: My client, a...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Progressive Recruitment: SAP Functional ...