Letter: Child discipline
Friday 26 September 1997
I'm sorry that your writer thinks a good smack in the supermarket would instill discipline.
I took the attitude that consistent childcare matters. I chose to have children, not fashion accessories tacked on to my life. As one who took the loss in income (then watched in terror as the mortgage interest rate rose) I am a mite tired of listening to others parade their guilt. If Diana Appleyard thinks she has got the balance of her life wrong then she must reassess her life and make whatever changes she sees fit. Some of us have never been so daft as to take a four-year-old into that sort of formal setting, and when we buried grandma this summer all her grandchildren, from six upwards, knew how to behave appropriately.
Life & Style blogs
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
- 1 Mario Balotelli: Staff at arson-hit Manchester Dogs' Home convinced Liverpool striker is behind five-figure donation
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 There is literally not a single woman in this iPhone 6 queue
- 4 Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair
- 5 Scottish independence: Tory revolt against 'devo max' grows as Rail Minister Claire Perry joins
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Marketing Manager (CIM, B2B, MS Offi...
£22000 - £25000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A highly successful organisation wit...
£1 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Job Purpose To work closely with the he...
£32000 - £42000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client is curr...