Letter: Empower me
Sunday 04 January 1998
Empowerment can work, but only as part of a holistic structure of concepts ranging from open two-way communications, regular appraisal, and a commitment to training and staff development. Regrettably, what often happens is that the managing director mutters the magic word "empowerment" and then expects change to occur as though by an act of God.
What Alan Fox wrote in A Sociology of Work in Industry in 1971 is still valid today: "The social relations of industry offer few perspectives more ironical than a deeply committed management recoiling ... from the manifest indifference of their hourly paid workers to everything other than the aspiration that holds them within a system which management themselves have designed - the size of the pay packet."
Perhaps the answer is to shareextra profit resulting from an empowerment exercise with those who created it - but then we don't want to take empowerment too far do we?
Brian M Leahy
Life & Style blogs
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 3 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 4 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 5 Snoop Dogg on why he doesn't regret displaying misogyny towards women
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...