Letter: Hitler's debt to Wagner
Sunday 10 May 1998
AS Richard Wagner died years before Adolf Hitler was born, one should not call his music "fascist". But, whereas Bernard Noble (Letters, 3 May) cannot discern any "embryonic Nazism" in Parsifal, Prof P L Rose, in Wagner: Race and Revolution, detected "anti-Semitic resonances" from Schopenhauer and others during its protracted composition.
Although further analysis touches on weighty controversies about Celtic romance and Christian origins, it is certain that, even if Hitler never claimed that his own "religion" was "built" from that opera, he was ideologically influenced by Wagner. The paradox is that Parsifal not only embodies "pure blood" symbolism but also proclaims the virtue of compassion, hardly Hitler's most notable characteristic.
Life & Style blogs
In defence of liberal democracy
General Election 2015: Post-election 'shambles' looms as 70 per cent of voters say SNP 'should not be able to veto UK government policies'
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
General Election 2015: Sturgeon claims Scots 'appalled' by Ed Miliband's refusal to work with SNP
- 1 Katie Hopkins gives rare glimpse of sensitive side with heartfelt open letter to her children penned in case she dies from epilepsy
- 2 Rihanna's Met Gala dress took one Chinese woman 2 years to make, was reduced to omelette meme in 2 seconds
- 3 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to replace Jeremy Clarkson and co
- 4 #JeSuisEd: People share photos of themselves eating awkwardly in solidarity with Labour leader
- 5 Women think Irish men are the sexiest, survey finds
£35000 - £40000 per annum + car and benefits: Ashdown Group: Marketing Manager...
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Helpdesk Analyst - Devon - £20,000 ...
£35000 - £50000 per annum + generous bonus: Ashdown Group: Business Analytics ...
£45000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: IT Project Coordinator (Software Dev...