Letter: If Britain had not taken on Hitler
Sunday 02 May 1999
This is not true. Victor Gollancz wrote a pamphlet called Let My People Go, published in January 1943, which included statements such as: "The murders have taken the form of random shooting, mass shootings, mass electrocutions, mass poison-gassing, and transportation in conditions which inevitably involve death during the journey" and "All this is part, not of war, but of a quite deliberate policy, openly proclaimed, of extermination of the Jewish population of Europe".
The pamphlet was widely circulated, and over 100,000 copies were sold, so the statements it contained were not secret. Whether people believed what was published, or whether they then did the right things, are matter for debate, but there cannot be any doubt that they had been told what was happening.
Life & Style blogs
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
- 1 All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Alicia Keys leaks nude photo 'to create a kinder and more peaceful world'
- 5 Clothes store Joy angers mental health campaigners with Twitter exchange on bipolar disorders
£300 - £350 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Pharmaceutical Computer ...
£70 - £90 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: Higher Level Teaching Assist...
£50 - £80 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: Randstad Education is the UK...
£400 - £450 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client is currently ...