Letter: Women climb for themselves
Sunday 02 November 1997
Sylvester Stallone in Cliffhanger is a poor example of a top male climber. There are too many to cite but Chris Bonington and Doug Scott spring readily to mind, neither of whom have huge shoulders, barrel chests or gritted teeth.
Besides, women climbers climb for themselves not to compete with or against male counterparts. Julie Tullis, who was killed on K2, when asked why she climbed said: "In my personal experience mountaineering is far more than a sport. It has a deeper meaning, trying to achieve a harmony with nature."
This harmony can be achieved by women climbers at whatever level they climb. No male image is needed to achieve this.
T M Sanders
Little Eaton, Derbyshire
Life & Style blogs
Kylie Jenner challenge: Strange lip suction device inspired by Kardashian sister goes viral
International Space Station could be fitted with huge lasers to shoot down space junk
Loch Ness Monster: Google Maps unveils Doodle and Nessie Street View
Coachella Festival 2015: from Kendall Jenner to Alexa Chung, stars and festival-goers parade their boho best
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
- 1 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 2 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor David Dinsmore reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 3 Parma, Missouri: 80 per cent of town's police quit after first black mayor is elected
- 4 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
- 5 Google search history can now be downloaded in its entirety, mass embarrassment expected
£35-45K (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a .NET Developer / Web ...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Commercial Manager is required to join a lea...
£18000 - £19000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you looking for your first ...
£28000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Small and agile digital marketi...