From receiving a cup of tea in bed to simply being asked if we’re OK, it’s often the little things that make a person feel most loved.
Forget huge gestures - a new study has confirmed that the 50 top ways to show someone you care are all remarkably simple.
A spontaneous hug, giving a compliment and saying ‘I love you’ all feature in the top 10, proving that it’s often gestures that require the smallest effort that have the biggest impact.
However, some people do go the extra mile to show they care by sending flowers for no reason, planning a surprise trip away and undertaking a diet with someone.
Interestingly, whilst 60 per cent of people said their only motive is cheering up loved ones, 40 per cent admitted they hope their gestures would mean they got something in return later - 47 per cent of men are guilty of the latter, according to the study, compared to just 37 per cent of women.
What’s more, 38 per cent of men have even reminded someone of something kind they’ve done in the past when they want a favour.
The study of 2,000 adults also reinforced that we are a nation of foodies - cooking someone their favourite meal came in at number 1, with sharing your food and offering someone the biggest/last piece of cake both in the top 15.
Perhaps food really is the way to someone’s heart after all, with 69 per cent of people saying food-related acts are a top way of caring for someone.
The study, carried out by Tilda Basmati Rice, found that 85 per cent of people say having a meal cooked for them makes them feel cared for or appreciated.
Here’s the top 50 in full:
1. Cooking them their favourite meal
2. Making a cup of tea without being asked
3. Asking if they're OK
4. A spontaneous hug
5. Giving a compliment
6. Texting them to see how they are
7. Saying thank-you for something
8. Listening to them when they need to offload
9. Saying 'I love you' for no reason
10. Sharing your food with them
11. Remembering important dates like anniversaries
12. Buying a little present for no reason
13. Saving the last/biggest piece of cake for them
14. Offering to help with the cleaning
15. Taking an interest even if the subject matter isn't interesting
16. Watching their favourite film/TV programmes even though you don't like them
17. Cooking them a healthy meal
18. Giving them the bigger potion of a meal you've cooked
19. Recording their favourite TV show
20. Buying them their favourite treat just to surprise them
21. Recording something you think they might like to watch
22. Making them breakfast in bed
23. Cooking a meal you don't really like but they do
24. Do a cleaning job/household chore without being asked
25. Taking an interest in something you know they like such as favourite football team etc
26. Sending flowers for no reason
27. Take them out for a surprise meal
28. Offering to do the household chores you know they hate
29. Buying something you see that reminds you of them or that you think they might like
30. Planning a surprise trip away
31. Run them a bath
32. Taking part on a diet or eating plan with them
33. Supporting them on a life improvement mission such as retraining
34. Sending them a funny video/picture when you know they need cheering up
35. Taking part or helping them to train in a challenge such as a charity run with them
36. Giving them your last chocolate
37. Surprising them with a bottle of wine when you know they have had a bad day
38. Offering to pick them up from work when the weather is bad
39. Sending/giving them a card to say thank-you/ you are thinking of them
40. Buying tickets to a show/concert you don't really like but you know they love
41. Not watching ahead when you are watching a box set together
42. Giving them the better one out of two cups of tea
43. Offering to look after the children so they can have some me-time
44. Getting up with the kids and letting them lie in
45. Putting a note in with their lunch
46. Buying someone a ticket back home if they live away
47. Posting a thank-you/nice post to them on social media
48. Leaving them water/paracetamol when you know they are going to wake up hungover
49. Improving their diet
50. Helping the children to make them a picture/note for themReuse content