A record-breaking year for classic cars
Wednesday 09 December 2009
The classic car market is proving resilient through the recession, according to a leading auction house.
The past year has set several new records for the sale value of several models, including a new record for the most expensive car ever sold at auction - a 1957 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa that went for €9.02 million ($12.4 million) in Italy in May. Other record sales this year include the 1952 Jaguar C-Type, sold for $2,530,000 (€1,715,5000) in Monterey, California and a 1950 Aston Martin DB2 Team Car that set a new auction world record for an Aston Martin DB2, achieving $910,745 (€617,481) in London.
"The market for 'quality' motor cars - exceptional, rare examples with important provenance and documentation - remains stable, with outstanding cars continuing to attract great prices at auction," said Ian Kelleher, president and chief operating officer for RM Auctions. The firm hosts several of the world's largest auctions and is based in Ontario, Canada, with offices in the United States and United Kingdom.
The five most expensive cars ever sold at auction
1. 1957 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa, €9.02m, May 2009
2. 1961 Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spyder, €7.04m, May 2008
3. 1931 Bugatti Royale Kellner Coupe, £5.7m, 1987
4. 1962 Ferrari 330 TRI/LM Testa Rossa, $9.4m, May 2007
5. 1937 Mercedes-Benz 540K Special Roadster, £3.9m, October 2007
Source: About.com/RM Auctions
Presents unwrapped, turkey gobbled... it's time to relax
Life & Style blogs
Should doctors and patients learn to plan humane, happier endings rather than trying to prolong life?
Black Friday: Best beauty deals
Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
Coke milk? Coca-Cola to launch premium milk brand called Fairlife
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
Obama: The only people with the right to object to immigration are Native Americans
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Ukip mocked after mistaking Westminster Cathedral – for a mosque
Sarah Vine criticises lesbian mother Jack Monroe: 'If she was unsure about her sexuality, she should have taken greater precautions'
- 1 Exodus Gods and Kings casting controversy: Ridley Scott would never cast 'Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such' in lead role
- 2 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: If you have experience of B2B s...
£Attractive Package: Citifocus Ltd: Prestigious asset management house seeks a...
£Negotiable: Citifocus Ltd: This is a varied role focusing on the firm's mutua...
£20000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of Scotland's leading train...