A record-breaking year for classic cars
Wednesday 09 December 2009
The classic car market is proving resilient through the recession, according to a leading auction house.
The past year has set several new records for the sale value of several models, including a new record for the most expensive car ever sold at auction - a 1957 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa that went for €9.02 million ($12.4 million) in Italy in May. Other record sales this year include the 1952 Jaguar C-Type, sold for $2,530,000 (€1,715,5000) in Monterey, California and a 1950 Aston Martin DB2 Team Car that set a new auction world record for an Aston Martin DB2, achieving $910,745 (€617,481) in London.
"The market for 'quality' motor cars - exceptional, rare examples with important provenance and documentation - remains stable, with outstanding cars continuing to attract great prices at auction," said Ian Kelleher, president and chief operating officer for RM Auctions. The firm hosts several of the world's largest auctions and is based in Ontario, Canada, with offices in the United States and United Kingdom.
The five most expensive cars ever sold at auction
1. 1957 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa, €9.02m, May 2009
2. 1961 Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spyder, €7.04m, May 2008
3. 1931 Bugatti Royale Kellner Coupe, £5.7m, 1987
4. 1962 Ferrari 330 TRI/LM Testa Rossa, $9.4m, May 2007
5. 1937 Mercedes-Benz 540K Special Roadster, £3.9m, October 2007
Source: About.com/RM Auctions
Gillian Anderson lays into gender disparity in Hollywood
Life & Style blogs
An app for the amorous: Could Good2Go end disputes about sexual consent - without being a passion-killer?
The Fappening: After the third wave of leaked celebrity photos, why can't we stop it?
Stoptober: How I stopped smoking for good
Wild ram head-butts drone out the sky, waits for pilot to turn up then head-butts him too
Olive oil could help to reverse heart failure, scientists claim
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Former Tory donor Arron Banks ups his Ukip donation to £1million following William Hague 'nobody' comment
- 1 Snoop Dogg and Jared Leto buy a stake in Reddit as A-list invests $50m
- 2 Prince held a Facebook Q&A and this is the only question he answered...
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': KTVA reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 35,000 walrus gather ashore on north-west Alaska beach 'for a rest'
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- < Previous
- Next >
This is an unpaid volunteer role. : Belong: We are looking for volunteers who ...
£17000 - £18000 per annum: Randstad Education Group: Experienced TA's urgently...
£100 - £110 per day: Randstad Education Group: Supply Business Studies Teacher...
£110 - £125 per day: Randstad Education Cardiff: English Teacher - CaerphillyT...