Car sales fall across Europe
Friday 06 August 2010
Car sales in the United Kingdom fell for the first time in a year in July, Britain's car makers' association said August 5.
The volume of new cars registered fell by 13.2 percent in July, following 12 successive monthly rises, a decline the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) put down to the end of the scrappage scheme.
The fall in Britain reflected similar declines in most major European markets reported earlier this week.
Sales in Italy fell by 26 percent year on year, while Spanish sales fell by 24 percent.
Sales in Germany, Europe's largest car market, slumped by 30 percent year-on-year, led by foreign brands, which fell 39 percent overall.
In France, sales were down 12.9 percent, with 169,804 vehicles sold.
Data released earlier this week showed a slight gain in US auto sales and larger gains for China and Japan.
Life & Style blogs
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
- 1 Eurovision 2015: Graham Norton returns with another cutting commentary - his best lines
- 2 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 3 Eurovision 2015 winner: Sweden beats Russia and Italy to take title from Conchita Wurst
- 4 Mother 'will allow son's circumcision in return for release from prison'
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...