Formula One: Bahrain Grand Prix cancelled - organisers
Monday 21 February 2011
The season-opening Bahrain Formula One Grand Prix, due to be staged on March 13, was cancelled on Monday due to the political unrest in the Gulf state, organisers announced.
The widely anticipated move was confirmed in an official statement shortly after reports emerged that F1 teams had decided not to go ahead with a scheduled testing session at the circuit next week.
Bahrain Crown Prince HRH Prince Salman bin Hamad Al-Khalifa said: "At the present time the country's entire attention is focused on building a new national dialogue for Bahrain.
"Although (F1 rights holder) Bernie Ecclestone had graciously made clear that a decision on the race was entirely Bahrain's to make and was not yet required, we felt it was important for the country to focus on immediate issues of national interest and leave the hosting of Bahrain's Formula 1 race to a later date."
The 2011 season will now get underway with the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne on March 27.
No date has been set for a possible rescheduling of the Bahrain race, which was first held in 2004 when Michael Schumacher won, later in the year.
Ecclestone, who has been in constant contact with organisers over the race's fate, gave his reaction.
The F1 chief said: "It is sad that Bahrain has had to withdraw from the race, we wish the whole nation well as they begin to heal their country.
"The hospitality and warmth of the people of Bahrain is a hallmark of the race there, as anyone who has been at a Bahrain Grand Prix will testify. We look forward to being back in Bahrain soon."
Prince Salman in his statement added: "After the events of the past week, our nation's priority is on overcoming tragedy, healing divisions and rediscovering the fabric that draws this country together; reminding the world of the very best that Bahrain is capable of as a nation once again united."
Circuit chairman Zayed Alzayani expressed the hope of restaging the race.
"Bahrain's Grand Prix is a time of celebration and hosting the race is a source of great pride for Bahrain and Bahrainis," he said.
"It is a showcase to the world and we look forward to welcoming the teams and drivers and everyone involved in Formula One back to Bahrain in the very near future.
"I hope that F1 and our friends around the world will understand our decision at this difficult time."
Monday's announcement follows the cancellation of last weekend's GP2 Series race in Bahrain after pro-democracy protests that have led to deadly clashes with police.
The unrest in the small Gulf state of Bahrain is part of a wave of protests that have rippled across North Africa and the Middle East since the revolt that ousted Tunisian president Zine El Abidine Ben Ali in January.
There had been unease in the pits over the staging of a race in a country in turmoil, with Red Bull's Mark Webber one of the drivers to voice his reservations.
"When you hear of people losing their lives, this is a tragedy," the Australian told the BBC.
"It's probably not the best time to go there for a sporting event. They have bigger things, bigger priorities."
Life & Style blogs
Google Maps hides image of Android robot urinating on Apple in surprisingly insolent Easter egg
Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
KickAssTorrents down: biggest file-sharing site moves to .cr domain after takedowns
Audrey Hepburn is officially Britain’s style icon – 22 years after her death
Is PMS real? The tale of the premenstrual monster and its meaning
General Election 2015: Chuka Umunna on the benefits of immigration, humility – and his leader Ed Miliband
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Aaron and Melissa Klein: Oregon anti-gay bakers ordered to pay $135,000 after refusing to make cake for same-sex wedding
Andrew Lloyd Webber: Phantom of the Opera writer mocked after issuing a warning about Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon
General election 2015: Labour will toughen hate crimes legislation surrounding Islamophobia
EU exit would hit UK economy much harder than neighbouring countries, study finds
- 1 The scientist who takes 100 drugs a day so he can live to 150
- 2 The Visit: Trailer for M Night Shyamalan's latest horror film is terrifying
- 3 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 4 The confessions of men who ordered mail-order brides
- 5 General Election 2015: Stephen Hawking says he will vote Labour
£19000 - £21000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Small Family Accountancy Practi...
£18000 - £50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company is recruiting for ...
£20000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This B2B software supplier, spe...
£22000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This fast growing SaaS (Softwar...