Getting a green gleam - top tips for an eco-friendly car wash
Friday 11 June 2010
As the summer season gets underway in the northen hemisphere, millions of us will be heading out to wash the car when the weather is good.
US car giant Ford has offered some tips for consumers looking to get the most out of water consumption, although it warns that actually, the most environmentally friendly way to wash a car is to take it to the car wash.
The US International Carwash Association reports that automatic car washes use less than half the water of even the most careful home car washer - 45 gallons (170 liters) per car compared to between 80 and 140 gallons (303-530 liters) for home washing.
Other top tips from the car giant include
- Move the car onto the lawn to maximize your water usage by cleaning and watering at the same time
- Buy a water saving hose nozzle that cuts the water supply when it's not needed
- Only use the hose for rinsing, not washing - fill a bucket with soapy water for the washing phase
- Use a rag or microfiber cloth to dry the car instead of paper towels
As the weather heats up, motorists should be even more aware of how they are cleaning their cars.
Car care company AutoGlym suggests moving the car into a shady spot to avoid cleaning products drying onto the vehicle into the sun, which can heat up body panel temperatures to in excess of 50 degrees Celsius.
Basic carwash tips from ConsumerReports.org suggest using a dedicated car-wash product rather than ordinary soap and washing as regularly as possible to avoid buildup.
Car cleaning resources:
peopleContenders for Time magazine's Person of the Year are a mixture of the good, the bad and the holy
tvSteven Moffat reveals the actor was dying to take on the role of the Time Lord and says he is excited to see what he will do with the character
sportBayern Munich 2 Manchester City 3: City come from two down to beat reigning European Champions
newsAs the world remembers Mandela the hero, the prison where he spent 27 years seems all the more brutal
arts + ents... and a chance to paint Booker Prize winning author Hilary Mantel
danceUnder Tamara Rojo's inspired direction, it seems possible that it could challenge the dominance of the Royal Ballet. We meet some established names and rising stars
travelDiscover Uruguay's jet-set beach resort, an Atlantic enclave with plenty of art and culture to explore on the side
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Mountain goats' miraculous escape from avalanche captured in dramatic video footage
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 4 Government delays EU immigration report because it is too positive
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
£22000 - £25000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Junior/Grad C# .NET Wi...
Negotiable: Harrington Starr: C#.NET Developer (VB6,.NET, SQL, Winforms) Wokin...
£35999 - £44001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: A Top Tier practi...
£41000 - £46000 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Academically Exce...