Getting a green gleam - top tips for an eco-friendly car wash
Friday 11 June 2010
As the summer season gets underway in the northen hemisphere, millions of us will be heading out to wash the car when the weather is good.
US car giant Ford has offered some tips for consumers looking to get the most out of water consumption, although it warns that actually, the most environmentally friendly way to wash a car is to take it to the car wash.
The US International Carwash Association reports that automatic car washes use less than half the water of even the most careful home car washer - 45 gallons (170 liters) per car compared to between 80 and 140 gallons (303-530 liters) for home washing.
Other top tips from the car giant include
- Move the car onto the lawn to maximize your water usage by cleaning and watering at the same time
- Buy a water saving hose nozzle that cuts the water supply when it's not needed
- Only use the hose for rinsing, not washing - fill a bucket with soapy water for the washing phase
- Use a rag or microfiber cloth to dry the car instead of paper towels
As the weather heats up, motorists should be even more aware of how they are cleaning their cars.
Car care company AutoGlym suggests moving the car into a shady spot to avoid cleaning products drying onto the vehicle into the sun, which can heat up body panel temperatures to in excess of 50 degrees Celsius.
Basic carwash tips from ConsumerReports.org suggest using a dedicated car-wash product rather than ordinary soap and washing as regularly as possible to avoid buildup.
Car cleaning resources:
Life & Style blogs
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 A third of employers never check job applicants' qualifications, survey finds
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Junior Quant Analyst - C++, Boost...
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Service Desk Analyst- (Desktop Su...
£30000 - £50000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Junior Quant Analyst (Machine Lea...
£45000 - £55000 per annum: Harrington Starr: UNIX Application Support Analyst-...