Gordon Murray unveils new sports car
Saturday 24 September 2011
Legendary Formula 1 designer Gordon Murray has unveiled a new prototype electric sports car to join his fold of futuristic small vehicle designs.
The TEEWAVE AR1 was designed in collaboration with Toray Industries and is designed partially as proof of concept for a production mechanism that can see a car processed in less than ten minutes.
Constructed from carbon fiber, the AR1 is remarkably light, weighing in at just 850 kilograms, with at least a quarter of that the battery - that makes it considerably lighter than the Tesla Roadster, its most obvious competitor.
Powered by a lithium-ion battery, it can sprint from 0-100km/h in 11.4 seconds and reach a top speed of 147 kilometers per hour, with a range of 186 kilometers.
Like the T.25 and T.27, small vehicles that Murray has unveiled in the past, the TEEWAVE AR1 was built using the iStream manufacturing process, Murray's project to reduce the cost and improve the efficiency of vehicle manufacture.
As yet, there's no word on whether the TEEWAVE will make it further to the showroom than Murray's other vehicles, the T.25 and T.27, which the automaker is believed to be still in talks to produce.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
£45000 - £60000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: Senior A...
£29999 - £40001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: A top independent...
£22000 - £26000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£40000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: Technical Ap...