Maserati dominating posh car sales in US
Monday 09 November 2009
Italian luxury sports car manufacturer Maserati is the overwhelming best-seller in the US among niche luxury car brands, according to a survey released November 6 by US-based business magazine
Maserati is the top-selling brand among cars that sell at least 1,200 models a year in 47 of 50 states, plus the District of Columbia. Three states prefer less flashy English automakers: Bentley is the favorite in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, while Virginia's elite favor Aston Martin.
In the slightly less upscale "luxury car" segment Toyota's Lexus is the nation's best-selling brand, edging BMW and Mercedes-Benz.
California, Florida and New York have the highest concentration of luxury cars among states by a large margin: just 18 Maseratis were sold in Ohio last year, compared with 271 in Florida.
In Michigan, the nation's auto producing center, native son Cadillac from General Motors is the best-selling luxury brand by a considerable margin.
The data was based on individual, not corporate, national car registration data from September 2008 to August 2009.
US States With the Most Expensive Cars (luxury, niche luxury brand)
1. California: Mercedes-Benz, Maserati
2. Florida: BMW, Maserati
3. New York: BMW, Maserati
4. New Jersey: Lexus, Bentley
5. Virginia: BMW, Aston Martin
6. Georgia: Mercedes-Benz, Maserati
7. Illinois: Lexus, Maserati
8. Texas: Mercedes-Benz, Maserati
9. Pennsylvania: Mercedes-Benz, Bentley
10. Ohio: Lexus, Maserati
Life & Style blogs
Astrological signs are almost all wrong, as movement of moon and sun throws out zodiac
Inside A&E: The highs, the lows, and the grief is something that echoes across all hospitals around the world
Rita Ora reveals all – from her 24 tattoos to what she likes to wear when no-one's looking
American Apparel’s model agency leaked casting call saying it wants ‘real models’ not ‘Instagram hoes’
Just three alcoholic drinks a day increase chances of liver cancer
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Council tenant wins right not to be sent to Milton Keynes
- 1 Germanwings Q&A: Why would the cockpit door have been locked and would there have been no way to get in?
- 2 Andreas Lubitz: Who is Germanwings co-pilot who 'locked out captain and crashed flight 9525'?
- 3 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 4 Germanwings crash: Descent may have been 'deliberate, suicidal choice' by pilot, claims experts
- 5 Woman held in psychiatric ward after (correctly) saying Obama follows her on Twitter
£20000 - £25000 per annum + uncapped commission : SThree: Hello! I know most ...
£22000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Consultant trainee opportunit...
£22000 - £25000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Marketing Executive - Knu...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Excellent benefits: Ashdown Group: Web Developer -...