Maserati dominating posh car sales in US
Monday 09 November 2009
Italian luxury sports car manufacturer Maserati is the overwhelming best-seller in the US among niche luxury car brands, according to a survey released November 6 by US-based business magazine
Maserati is the top-selling brand among cars that sell at least 1,200 models a year in 47 of 50 states, plus the District of Columbia. Three states prefer less flashy English automakers: Bentley is the favorite in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, while Virginia's elite favor Aston Martin.
In the slightly less upscale "luxury car" segment Toyota's Lexus is the nation's best-selling brand, edging BMW and Mercedes-Benz.
California, Florida and New York have the highest concentration of luxury cars among states by a large margin: just 18 Maseratis were sold in Ohio last year, compared with 271 in Florida.
In Michigan, the nation's auto producing center, native son Cadillac from General Motors is the best-selling luxury brand by a considerable margin.
The data was based on individual, not corporate, national car registration data from September 2008 to August 2009.
US States With the Most Expensive Cars (luxury, niche luxury brand)
1. California: Mercedes-Benz, Maserati
2. Florida: BMW, Maserati
3. New York: BMW, Maserati
4. New Jersey: Lexus, Bentley
5. Virginia: BMW, Aston Martin
6. Georgia: Mercedes-Benz, Maserati
7. Illinois: Lexus, Maserati
8. Texas: Mercedes-Benz, Maserati
9. Pennsylvania: Mercedes-Benz, Bentley
10. Ohio: Lexus, Maserati
Life & Style blogs
The future of sex: The first female condoms were derided, mistrusted and shunned - but will their modern counterparts catch on?
Private school refuses to readmit anorexic pupil because her presence would be 'too disruptive to the rest of the year group,' mother claims
'It's brusquely intimate': A bereaved daughter tackles the task of emptying her father's flat
Study suggests that 'gaydars' are real - at least for women
International Women's Day 2014: Google compiles celebratory video to mark the day
Apple's Tim Cook: Business isn’t just about making profit
Thousands of young people forced to go without food after benefits wrongly stopped under 'draconian' new sanctions regime
Ukraine crisis: New navy chief 'defects' and surrenders Crimean HQ as Putin claims ultranationalists forced intervention
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Ukraine crisis: Russia dismisses '3am ultimatum' as 'total nonsense'
If you're horrified by a flame-roasted dog, you should be shocked at a hog roast
- 1 The future of sex: The first female condoms were derided, mistrusted and shunned - but will their modern counterparts catch on?
- 2 South African rhino finally put down after roaming Kruger park for days with horn hacked off and bullet in brain
- 3 Italian pensioner hires an escort who turns out to be his son's girlfriend
- 4 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 5 Channel 4 announces two-hour TV show to be broadcast 'Live from Space' later this month
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: A small but growing chain of boutique hot...
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: The company works with Tier 1 FTSE 100 Ba...
£45 - 60k Per Annum: Charter Selection: Highly profitable leisure brand, marke...
£30000 - £50000 per annum + Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: Residenti...