Maserati dominating posh car sales in US
Monday 09 November 2009
Italian luxury sports car manufacturer Maserati is the overwhelming best-seller in the US among niche luxury car brands, according to a survey released November 6 by US-based business magazine
Maserati is the top-selling brand among cars that sell at least 1,200 models a year in 47 of 50 states, plus the District of Columbia. Three states prefer less flashy English automakers: Bentley is the favorite in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, while Virginia's elite favor Aston Martin.
In the slightly less upscale "luxury car" segment Toyota's Lexus is the nation's best-selling brand, edging BMW and Mercedes-Benz.
California, Florida and New York have the highest concentration of luxury cars among states by a large margin: just 18 Maseratis were sold in Ohio last year, compared with 271 in Florida.
In Michigan, the nation's auto producing center, native son Cadillac from General Motors is the best-selling luxury brand by a considerable margin.
The data was based on individual, not corporate, national car registration data from September 2008 to August 2009.
US States With the Most Expensive Cars (luxury, niche luxury brand)
1. California: Mercedes-Benz, Maserati
2. Florida: BMW, Maserati
3. New York: BMW, Maserati
4. New Jersey: Lexus, Bentley
5. Virginia: BMW, Aston Martin
6. Georgia: Mercedes-Benz, Maserati
7. Illinois: Lexus, Maserati
8. Texas: Mercedes-Benz, Maserati
9. Pennsylvania: Mercedes-Benz, Bentley
10. Ohio: Lexus, Maserati
Life & Style blogs
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
£23m Birmingham cycle scheme is attacked by Tory councillor for not catering to the elderly
Salmond accused of laughing off national debt with ‘what are they going to do: invade?’ joke
- 1 British tourists 'murdered' in Thailand: Pair's bloodied bodies found naked on Koh Tao beach
- 2 Vivienne Westwood says 'Yes' to Scottish Independence by declaring: 'I hate England'
- 3 Welcome to Cameroon, where drinking Baileys can lead to imprisonment
- 4 Lego breaks out of the toy box and heads for the gallery
- 5 Vogue under fire for 'Big Booty' article
£400000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: Job Title: Energy Markets An...
£30000 - £35000 Per Annum Plus excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions...
£22000 - £23000 per annum: Randstad Education Bristol: We are currently recrui...
£35000 - £40000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: We are currently r...