Maserati dominating posh car sales in US
Monday 09 November 2009
Italian luxury sports car manufacturer Maserati is the overwhelming best-seller in the US among niche luxury car brands, according to a survey released November 6 by US-based business magazine
Maserati is the top-selling brand among cars that sell at least 1,200 models a year in 47 of 50 states, plus the District of Columbia. Three states prefer less flashy English automakers: Bentley is the favorite in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, while Virginia's elite favor Aston Martin.
In the slightly less upscale "luxury car" segment Toyota's Lexus is the nation's best-selling brand, edging BMW and Mercedes-Benz.
California, Florida and New York have the highest concentration of luxury cars among states by a large margin: just 18 Maseratis were sold in Ohio last year, compared with 271 in Florida.
In Michigan, the nation's auto producing center, native son Cadillac from General Motors is the best-selling luxury brand by a considerable margin.
The data was based on individual, not corporate, national car registration data from September 2008 to August 2009.
US States With the Most Expensive Cars (luxury, niche luxury brand)
1. California: Mercedes-Benz, Maserati
2. Florida: BMW, Maserati
3. New York: BMW, Maserati
4. New Jersey: Lexus, Bentley
5. Virginia: BMW, Aston Martin
6. Georgia: Mercedes-Benz, Maserati
7. Illinois: Lexus, Maserati
8. Texas: Mercedes-Benz, Maserati
9. Pennsylvania: Mercedes-Benz, Bentley
10. Ohio: Lexus, Maserati
Life & Style blogs
The Art of Swimming: The way many people swim might be doing them more harm than good, says a man bringing posture to the pool
British people have become 'internationally renowned' for having 'really lousy' teeth
New exhibition celebrates the evolution of swimwear
Woman, 21, dies after taking contraceptive pill that 'caused fatal blood clot'
Netflix apologises for overcharging some customers 11 times
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
- 1 Chelsea victory parade mocked on Twitter as 'tens of fans' pack the streets of London
- 2 Preston fan who appeared to snatch Jermaine Beckford's shirt from eight-year-old boy identified and says: 'the truth will come out'
- 3 Johnny Depp facing 10 years in jail for illegally bringing dogs to Australia
- 4 US warned by Chinese media to stop meddling or 'war will be inevitable'
- 5 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
£20000 - £25000 per annum + uncapped commission, Benefits, OTE £100k: SThree: ...
£32K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Dining Room Head Chef to work for one of ...
£27K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Pastry Sous Chef / Experienced Pastry Che...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + competitive: SThree: Are you a recent graduate loo...