More than 7 in 10 Europeans driving with underinflated tires
Wednesday 13 April 2011
With well over two thirds of Europe's motorists driving on underinflated tires, adjusting tire pressure is a simple way that most drivers can save some money.
Last month, tire manufacturer Bridgestone released the results of a survey of tire pressure conducted across nine European countries which suggested a staggering 71 percent of motorists drive on under-inflated tires.
Seven and a half percent were severely underinflated, at a level which creates a real safety risk, but Bridgestone calculated that 2.0 billion liters of fuel are wasted annually due to underinflation - adding an extra 4.8 million tons of carbon dioxide emission.
Despite the fact that having underinflated tires is against the law in many countries, most drivers don't bother regularly checking whether their tires are at the right pressure.
Most worryingly, Bridgestone's figures may even be on the low side - a survey of mechanics carried out by the Rubber Manufacturers Association suggested 95 percent of motorists could be driving at the incorrect pressure.
Tips on checking tire inflation pressure
- Look for the proper information in your vehicle - data on the tire may not always be correct for the vehicle type.
- Make sure the tire is cool before you start - it is normal for pressure to increase after driving.
- Check using a tire gauge, once a month and before long trips. If you don't have one, many service stations offer free pressurized air with a gauge attached.
Taken from Rubber Manufacturers Association Tire Safety Guide: http://www.rma.org/tire_safety/
Watch the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qywkVSaa6o
See also http://www.ehow.com/how_112754_inflate-tires.html
Life & Style blogs
Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
Is Apple's iCloud safe after leak of Jennifer Lawrence and other celebrities' nude photos?
Reader dilemma: My wife only wants to have sex when she's drunk
Three quarters of the Ikea catalogue is CGI
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ashya King: Parents of five-year-old boy refused permission to visit him in hospital and denied bail at Spanish court
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- 1 Al Pacino on suffering from depression: 'It can last and it's terrifying'
- 2 Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
- 3 Saudis risk new Muslim division with proposal to move Mohamed’s tomb
- 4 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 5 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127
£80 - £135 per day: Randstad Education Cheshire: Permanent post for a Key stag...
£90 - £160 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: Geography Teacher urgently ...
£50 - £130 per day: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Are you an SEN Teacher or L...
£30000 - £35000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: A highly successful organ...