All that Jazz - Honda unveils UK model
Wednesday 07 October 2009
The first British-built Honda Jazz will roll off the new production line in Swindon.
The car manufacturer hopes the model will signal the end of a difficult year which saw the plant close down for four months.
Production of the Jazz for European customers has been moved from Japan to the Wiltshire factory where Honda hopes to build 20,000 units.
Honda says 75 per cent of the cars manufactured at Swindon will be for the UK market, with the other 25 per cent exported to 55 countries across Europe and other regions, including South Africa.
The addition of Jazz brings the planned total production level for the Swindon plant in this financial year to 100,600.
Honda's 3,400 workers returned to work at Swindon in June after a four month shutdown, during which 1,300 workers took the company's offer of voluntary redundancy.
The employees who remained agreed to a 3 per cent pay cut while managers had their pay reduced by 5 per cent.
During the closure, Honda rebuilt assembly lines and brought in new robots and machinery for the Jazz.
The Jazz has become one of Honda's most successful cars in Europe following a trend for buyers to downsize from bigger models to small, more fuel efficient vehicles.
The five-door family supermini has made up 70 per cent of all of Honda's Government Scrappage Scheme deals.
Life & Style blogs
Surgeon backs 'good death' plans - and reveals his own
NHS hit by stealth cuts of £2bn as tariffs received for medical procedures are reduced
How to survive a social-media mauling, by the tough women of Twitter
Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
The confessions of men who ordered mail-order brides
General Election 2015: Chuka Umunna on the benefits of immigration, humility – and his leader Ed Miliband
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Migrant boat disaster: Ukip candidate mocks victims in sickening Twitter post
Nigel Farage wants the BBC to stop making programmes like Doctor Who, Strictly Come Dancing, and Top Gear
Global warming: Scientists say temperatures could rise by 6C by 2100 and call for action ahead of UN meeting in Paris
General Election 2015: Britain would become a 'communist dictatorship' under Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon, claims wife of Michael Gove
- 1 Woman 'suffocates newborn baby in plastic bag and puts it in her desk minutes after giving birth'
- 2 I've been called an abusive and dangerous parent, when all I did was listen to my transgender child
- 3 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 4 Teaching profession headed for crisis as numbers continue to drop and working lives become 'unbearable'
- 5 Chinese student carries disabled friend to school every day for three years
£26000 - £28000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: Senior Accounts Assistan...
£24000 - £26000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...
£22000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company is part of a Group...
£16000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you a a young, dynamic pers...