Mini reinvents the Moke with Beachcomber concept
Thursday 17 December 2009
BMW's Mini operation has released details of its Beachcomber concept car, which it will show at the North American International Motor Show in Detroit next month. The inspiration is the simple 1960s open-topped Mini-Moke but the new concept, like 2008's Crossover concept, is really designed to show off the possibilities of the larger, more sophisticated new four-door, four-wheel drive model family that will be added to the current Mini range late next year.
The Beachcomber looks great, but BMW has once again chosen to reference, or perhaps "quote", the styling detail of old Mini variants in a rather literal, obvious way, rather than face up to the difficult question of what a truly updated Mini for the twenty-first century might look like – but then again, rolling forward the design of any car that is so obviously retro in its appeal is always going to be a challenge.
Life & Style blogs
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Louise Mensch says 'F**K YOU' in explosive tweets about David Cameron, Saudi Embassy and the Queen over King Abdullah tributes
- 1 Double chins could be 'cured' without surgery or dieting using new injection
- 2 The BBC has just done more to eradicate ‘terrorism’ than all our wars since 9/11
- 3 Christian blogger says she will not wear leggings in public because they entice men and cause them to look at her 'lustfully'
- 4 Thank heavens for Louise Mensch and her foul-mouthed tweets to world leaders
- 5 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
£25000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This web-based lead generation ...
£125 - £150 per day + Negotiable: Tradewind Recruitment: A 'wonderful primary ...
£90 - £140 per day: Tradewind Recruitment: Our client is an 11-16 mixed commun...
£32000 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A rapidly developing company in...