Motoring: Bidding Proshchai* to the Lada Riva
That's it. The last VAZ-2104 from Lada's Classic series (aka the Riva) has driven off into the sunset (well, off the factory floor).
It's hard to believe, but Russians used to wait 15 years to take delivery of one of these, proof of the cruelty of the Soviet regime – a painful wait for a painful motoring experience. When the Lada was sold here in the 1970s and 1980s, before emission regulations and its sheer antiquity saw it withdrawn, its big selling point was its full tool kit. Its main downside was that you needed that to keep it on the road.
Originally a 1966-model Fiat 124 built under licence at the Togliatti factory in Soviet Russia (named after the leader of the Italian Communist party), the Russian planners replaced the pleasantly revvy Italian engine with a sort of tractor unit, removing the last chance of any fun being had in one, and successive restyles diluted the last vestiges of its original neat styling.
Like the Mini and the Beetle, the Lada enjoyed a long run, but won't be fondly remembered – a bit like the USSR.
Life & Style blogs
Wii U to beat Xbox One and PS4 at Christmas says Play.com,
Britain's poor 'will die before they retire' if pension reforms aren't matched by health improvements
The 10 Best Scotch Whiskies
Ron Wayne: The Apple founder who missed out on a fortune
eBay XBox One scam: Dad pays £450 for a picture of the console
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
£34999 - £43001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: A Top 10 firm in ...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C++ Software E...
£45000 - £65000 per annum + Bonus + 28 days holiday: Harrington Starr: Java In...
£40000 - £65000 per annum + Bonus + 28 days holiday: Harrington Starr: Senior ...