Volvo to show electric C30 at Detroit
Friday 18 December 2009
Volvo will show an electric version of its small C30 coupé at next month's Detroit Motor Show. The Swedish company unveiled its first drivable prototype electric C30 in September this year, but the latest car is a more highly developed product that is much closer to the likely final specification of a fleet of factory produced C30 test vehicles that will be used in trials from 2011.
According to Volvo this car uses only a quarter as much energy as one running on fossil fuels and has a top speed of 81mph. The electric C30 can accelerate from rest to 60mph in less than 11 seconds and has a claimed range of about 150km (or just under 100 miles). It can be charged in eight hours from a domestic socket, although the house shown in Volvo's publicity shot must surely be the only one in the world to have such a socket conveniently mounted on a front outside wall; most users of electric cars have to access an inside socket via the letterbox, the cat-flap or an upstairs window.
Life & Style blogs
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
British jihadist calls for 'flag of Islam' over Downing Street and Buckingham Palace
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 3 Do you know this man? Amnesia sufferer found in park pleads for help in identifying who he is
- 4 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 5 Tony Abbott embarrasses Australia by praising Japanese WWII military, ‘getting on the sake’ and posing for ‘crotch-shot’ photo opportunity
£600 - £700 per day: Harrington Starr: AVS, JVS Openlink Endur Developer JVS, ...
£45000 - £60000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: Exciting opp...
£30000 per annum: Harrington Starr: A global leader in trading platforms and e...
£28000 per annum: Harrington Starr: A fast growing consultancy to the financia...