Nissan recalls 271,000 SUVs in US, Canada
Tuesday 26 April 2011
Japanese automaker Nissan has recalled nearly 271,000 sport utility vehicles in the United States and Canada to fix a defective steering column which can crack when exposed to road salt, officials said.
An assembly hole can allow road salt and snow to collect in the steering assembly and cause corrosion, Nissan said in a filing with US safety regulators.
"The strut housing may crack and pull away from the inner hood ledge assembly," Nissan said.
"This may lead to grinding noises, increased steering effort, and possibly the steering column to break, resulting in the loss of steering control, which could result in a crash."
The recall affects model years 1997 through 2003 of the Infiniti QX4 and model years 1996 through 2004 of the Nissan Pathfinder.
Nearly 163,000 Pathfinders were recalled in the United States and 63,000 were recalled in Canada, a Nissan spokeswoman said.
A further 33,000 QX4s were recalled in the United States and 12,000 in Canada.
Inspection and repairs will be conducted free of charge.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
£48000 - £65000 per annum + Excellent Benefits & Bonus: Pro-Recruitment Group:...
£55000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Senior Java De...
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Harrington Starr: PHP Developer (Web Developer, MyS...
£55000 - £75000 per annum + 28 Days Holiday: Harrington Starr: Flex Developer ...