Porsche mulling a re-issue of James Dean's 550 Spyder: boss
Saturday 23 July 2011
German luxury sportscar maker Porsche is mulling a reissue of the iconic 550 Spyder model owned by US actor James Dean, boss Matthias Mueller said on Thursday in the business daily Handelsblatt.
"I can well imagine that a modern version of James Dean's famous Porsche would please our clients," Mueller said. "I am fascinated by the idea of reviving this technical legend."
The 550 Spyder was built between 1953 and 1957 and was the car Dean was driving at the time of his fatal crash in September 1955.
A remake, which Mueller said could be the 551 Spyder might "not be a retro car, but a two-seater convertible would suit us nicely."
It would have to be priced to attract new customers, the Porsche head added.
The least expensive Porsche at present, the Boxster, has a minimum price of 50,000 euros ($71,000) according to the company's website.
Long an exclusive auto for wealthy clients, Porsche is targeting annual sales of 200,000 vehicles by 2018, double the forecast for this year.
Mueller said the automaker's budget for research and development would grow by 50 percent meanwhile, as Porsche sought to offer a total of seven models, compared with four at present.
Life & Style blogs
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Mystery man who gave mum heart-warming note on train 'wanted to put a smile on her face'
- 3 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 4 Mafia's wall of silence broken: Victim of Cosa Nostra's extortion rackets in its Corleone heartland co-operates with authorities for the first time ever
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
Negotiable: Tradewind Recruitment: This post arises as a result of the need to...
£120 - £150 per annum: Tradewind Recruitment: I am recruiting on instruction o...
£70000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Head of Finance - Financial Controller - Fina...
£24000 - £28000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Marketing Executive - Wim...