The one where Ford broke the mould
Thursday 04 August 1994
The car will make its first public appearance at next month's Paris Motor Show, despite nagging doubts among some senior Ford personnel over its design. The car will be on show at the Birmingham NEC later in the autumn.
The executive sector in which it competes is not known for its innovative styling. Most of the Scorpio's challengers, such as the Vauxhall Omega, Rover 800 and Renault Safrane, are conservative and it is in this company that the current Granada has built up a faithful following. But one Ford insider said the company was determined to make sure the Granada's successor made an impression.
The Scorpio is likely to cost from pounds 16,000 to about pounds 29,000. Its engines will include 2.0-litre and 2.9-litre petrol units, and a 2.5-litre turbo diesel. Inside, the cabin is luxurious and curvaceous, incorporating many of the design themes found in the smaller Mondeo.
Back at the start of the 1980s, Ford's new Sierra attracted widespread controversy for its 'revolutionary jelly-mould' shape, yet that car went on to become a UK best-seller. Time will tell if the Scorpio repeats that success.
Life & Style blogs
A roundup of the latest property news
Plus, do energy saving measures boost house prices?
The spring menswear season has only just begun, but I've already started to get deep and meaningful....
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, banking standards commission tells George Osborne
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£30000 - £35000 per annum: May & Stephens Recruitment Group: If you're an ambi...
£43000 - £50000 per annum + £5K Car Allowance + Bens : May & Stephens Recrui...
£18000 - £22000 per annum + Bens : May & Stephens Recruitment Group: If you're...
£16000 - £23000 per annum + OTE £23k - £45k: Connex Education: Connex Educatio...