Thunder from lightening
Saturday 16 August 1997
The new hatchback, to be built in Britain, will boast the best fuel figures in its class: Vauxhall claims up to 10 per cent better than the current model. There are six four-cylinder petrol engines in the range, and two turbodiesels.
A longer body gives more cabin space, but the use of more aluminium and magnesium alloy helps reduce the car's total mass, thereby improving fuel economy. The new model gets revised suspension, to try to give the car some bumpy-road poise.
Safety is also improved: the optional anti-lock brakes are more powerful, the air-bags are full size (rather than the less effective "Euro" bags) and there are three, three-point seatbelts in the rear. Vectra-like collapsible pedals - which cut down foot and leg injuries in accidents - and a totally zinc galvanised body are other Astra features.
Prices will be announcednext spring. You can expect a modest rise on today's prices of just over pounds 11,000.
Life & Style blogs
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
- 1 Alan Rickman admits editing 'terrible' script with friends in Pizza Hut behind backs of writers on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
- 2 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 3 US? China? India? The 10 biggest economies in 2030 will be...
- 4 'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
£18000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£16500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Chiropractic Assistant is needed in a ...
£18000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company provides coaching ...