Volvo announces engine technology overhaul
Wednesday 07 September 2011
Volvo has announced a drastic overhaul of its engine range as part of a new environmentally-friendly technology initiative.
The Swedish automaker said September 5 that it is to slash its eight engine families to a single four-cylinder engine range, adding that shrinking the focus was the perfect way to reduce emissions and fuel consumption.
"We will develop four-cylinder engines with higher performance than today's six-cylinder units and lower fuel consumption than the current four-cylinder generation," said the company's Peter Mertens.
Switching to a single engine platform is likely to reduce the number of unique parts needed for servicing by 60 percent, Volvo estimates, as well as shaving up to 90 kg of weight from the current set.
The company also believes that a modular design will make it easier to switch to electric power, confirming that it will test a brake energy capture system from later this year to boost performance.
Alongside the new engine will be a new, lighter vehicle platform set to be shown in a concept form at the Frankfurt Motor Show later this month (September 15-25).
Life & Style blogs
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Alex Salmond: 'The rocks would melt with the sun before I'd ever set foot in the House of Lords'
- 5 Ice Bucket Challenge: US firefighter Tony Grider dies after participating in charity craze near power lines
£70000 - £80000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Group Head of Marketing and Communic...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: Level 3 Nursery Nurse required for ...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: L3 Nursery Nurses urgently required...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: We have a number of schools based S...