Need to know: The evidence - The agony aunt's handbag
Saturday 27 March 1999
"I always carry lots of books with me. I'm currently carrying a copy of my new book (1) to remind myself what it's about as I'm now working on something else. A friend gave me the book The Vagina Monologues (2) last night and I also have a magazine (3) which I had a story in. I was at a reading last night given by a poet/philosopher type. He has been writing one of these little leaflets (4) every day for four years. I guess it's a form of absurdist humour - it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Someone gave me a condom (5) with a photo of Marc Almond on the wrapper. I was at college with him so they gave it to me to give to him. It does remind me of the shocking amount of very young pregnant teenagers I have to give advice to. I usually carry around ten different shades of lipstick (6) and lots of pens. I also have a nice Mont Blanc (7) which was given to me by an ex-boyfriend. He said it was to improve my handwriting so he promptly became an ex! This is my favourite bag (8), I bought it for myself, it's great for cycling but people do tend to confuse you with the postman."
Photograph by Claudia Janke
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
£80000 - £100000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Senior C++ De...
£25000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C++ Server Dev...
£300 - £350 per day: Harrington Starr: Leading Electronic Trading Software Ven...
£23999 - £32001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: An independent ac...