New Films: The Myth of Fingerprints (15) Directed by Bart Freundlich
Friday 28 November 1997
It takes place over Thanksgiving, which is American cinema's equivalent of hell. The grizzled father (Roy Scheider) and the jaunty mother (Blythe Danner) anticipate the coming congregation of their offspring. Naturally, there is scalding rage and guilt to go with the turkey and stuffing, but the film doesn't probe deep enough - it's all surface. It's some consolation that it has a perfect cast, including Noah Wyle from ER, and Julianne Moore, who continues to confirm that she is the greatest American actress alive today. As the brittle, repressed daughter, her personality has teeth; you enter at your own risk.
Life & Style blogs
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts
Greece debt crisis: Angela Merkel and Francois Hollande issue Athens with 24-hour ultimatum to avoid crashing out of the euro
Greece crisis: Referendum exposes a gaping hole at the heart of the European Union – its lack of genuine legitimacy
- 1 Florida man sentenced to two-and-a-half years for having sex on the beach in front of a child
- 2 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 3 Nick Kyrgios calls former Olympian Dawn Fraser a 'blatant racist' after she tells Wimbledon star to 'go back where their parents came from'
- 4 World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
- 5 Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
£23000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Business Analyst is required ...
£16000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To succeed, you will need to ha...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join an award winni...
£7 - £9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Are you outgoing? Do you want to work in...