New look, still Independent
Tuesday 16 September 1997
Gill Sans and Trajan have been chosen for their combination of clean, modern design and classical artistry.
Eric Gill, who designed the front covers for some of Penguins' classic first editions, developed the Gill Sans typeface.
James Mosley, of the St Bride Printing Library, said: "In the 1920s Gill was asked to do a new typeface in answer to the stark sans serif typeface then popular in Germany.
"Gill's classical approach was more acceptable to British taste than the stark German design. Gill Sans combines softer, more traditional lines with the simple sans serif type."
The inscription on Rome's Trajan column inspired our second typeface. It was re-designed by Carol Twombly in the 1980s, one of world's leading print designers. "Both typefaces have their roots in the Roman empire." Mr Mosley says, "but have been re-interpreted in modern classical forms."
Life & Style blogs
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 3 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 4 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
£45000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: SQL Developer (TSQL, S...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Front-End UI/U...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: C#.NET ...