Open Eye: University sets courses for circus performers
Tuesday 07 December 1999
Forty-two of the Millennium Show's performers hold a Certificate in Higher Education in Circus validated by Open University Validation Services.
The 18-month Circus Skills course, offered by one of Europe's top three circus centres, The Circus Space, included trapeze, trampolining and acrobatics. Specially developed for the Millennium Show, the Certificate has now been expanded into the country's first BA in Circus, which is also validated by the University.
Visitors to the Millennium Dome, who can see the show up to five times a day in the 50-metre high central arena, are unlikely to spot the OU connection. But on the ground is a less-surprising Millennium OU exhibit - the award-winning course, Computing: An Object-Oriented Approach, which has been named by the Design Council as a Millennium Product.
Life & Style blogs
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Russia's roadmap for annexing eastern Ukraine 'leaked from Vladimir Putin's office'
- 1 Forget 'The Dress': Here are five of the biggest news stories you might have missed
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Saudi Muslim cleric claims the Earth is 'stationary' and the sun rotates around it
£9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This role is based within a small family run ...
£28000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Design and marketing agenc...
£46000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This property investment firm are lookin...
£18000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company specialises provid...