Monday 13 March 1995
If you want to protest against the Communications Decency Act, which the US Congress is considering, now is the time to join an electronic petition.
Copies of a document headed "Protect the Internet. Read this message" are appearing all over the Net. This tells you what the act would do - prohibit "obscene, lewd, lascivious, filthy or indecent" language from being carried over the telephone network. It also tells you why this is so dangerous: service providers will be made responsible for policing everything they make available; in short, the entire Internet (which has plenty that is obscene, lewd etc on it).
The deadline for the petition, which non-Americans are encouraged to sign, is 15 March. If you cannot find the document, e-mail Jonah Seiger at firstname.lastname@example.org
Life & Style blogs
Oscars 2015: Birdman beats Boyhood as Eddie Redmayne and Patricia Arquette win big - as it happened
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East
Russia's roadmap for annexing eastern Ukraine 'leaked from Vladimir Putin's office'
- 1 Liam Gallagher brands Kanye West 'utter s**t' during BRIT Awards performance
- 2 Isis burns thousands of books and rare manuscripts from Mosul's libraries
- 3 People who sleep more than eight hours are more likely to have a stroke, research shows
- 4 Kanye West climbs on table at Nando's to crowd chants of 'Yeezus' before Brit Awards 2015 performance of 'All Day'
- 5 New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
£23000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This small, friendly, proactive...
£14500 - £22800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Software Developer is required to join a lea...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: A first rate opportunity to join a top ranking...