Plant of the moment
Sunday 29 June 1997
Call it columbine and remind yourself of those childhood days with miniature trowel and trug
s Are very in at the moment. Despite avant-garde attempts to convince us that orange is the new pale blue, most gardeners seems to be sticking to the subtle hues of pink-lilac-blue-cream that aquilegias come in. Even better, aquilegias are whimsically known as "granny's bonnet" or "columbine". Using such baby-names shows that even the most austere, dedicated plantspersons are still in touch with the simple joys of childhood gardening with miniature trowel and trug. Sweet.
Presents unwrapped, turkey gobbled... it's time to relax
Life & Style blogs
Should doctors and patients learn to plan humane, happier endings rather than trying to prolong life?
Black Friday: Best beauty deals
Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
Coke milk? Coca-Cola to launch premium milk brand called Fairlife
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
Obama: The only people with the right to object to immigration are Native Americans
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Ukip mocked after mistaking Westminster Cathedral – for a mosque
Sarah Vine criticises lesbian mother Jack Monroe: 'If she was unsure about her sexuality, she should have taken greater precautions'
- 1 Exodus Gods and Kings casting controversy: Ridley Scott would never cast 'Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such' in lead role
- 2 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
£20000 - £40000 per annum + benefits: h2 Recruit Ltd: Are you an ambitious and...
£20000 - £50000 per annum + benefits: h2 Recruit Ltd: Have you got a track rec...
£26000 per annum + pension + career progression: h2 Recruit Ltd: An excellent ...
£50000 - £100000 per annum + benefits: h2 Recruit Ltd: Are you a high achievin...