Plant of the moment: Michaelmas daisy
Sunday 21 September 1997
One of the classic harbingers of autumn is a bed of purple-mauve Michaelmas daisies. Red and white varieties are available, but the purple ones with yellow centres are the kind everyone knows. They are, indeed, likely to be flowering on Michaelmas (29 September) though they are not, in fact, daisies but a variety of aster. There is precious little choice of easy-going perennials that flower at this time of year, but all the same, approach these with care. Gertrude Jekyll wrote that her own Michaelmas daisies "have, as they well deserve to have, a garden to themselves... where the flowers are in glad spring-like profusion, when all else is on the verge of death and decay". Glad spring-like profusion is all very well if you have a stately-home sized plot to play with. In more limited acreage, turn your back and these will take over, getting spindlier every year. Keep them firmly in their place.
Life & Style blogs
Double chins could be 'cured' without surgery or dieting using new injection
Snapchat got rid of the Best Friends feature and 'stalkers' are upset
Hershey's angers US chocolate purists by forcing company to stop importing 'yummy' Cadbury bars
Food secrets: the good, the bad...and the faeces
Pot of gold: tasting the world’s most expensive tea
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Mystery man who gave mum heart-warming note on train 'wanted to put a smile on her face'
- 3 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 4 Mafia's wall of silence broken: Victim of Cosa Nostra's extortion rackets in its Corleone heartland co-operates with authorities for the first time ever
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
Negotiable: Tradewind Recruitment: This post arises as a result of the need to...
£120 - £150 per annum: Tradewind Recruitment: I am recruiting on instruction o...
£70000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Head of Finance - Financial Controller - Fina...
£24000 - £28000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Marketing Executive - Wim...