Roy Harper on Leopold Stokowski's Symphonic Synthesis of Parsifal
Friday 04 August 1995
It's a precis of the full opera condensed on to two sides of an LP. It contains all the major elements of the music; a brilliant piece of editorial work, both frightening and very moving. As a 16-year-old I was very affected by the grandiosity of it all.
Other important pieces of music to me are Miles Davis/ Gil Evans's Porgy and Bess, which is another way of doing opera in a populist style, with artistry. Bob Marley's "No Woman No Cry": great song. Led Zeppelin's "Four Sticks" I like partly because I was there in the studio - saw Bonzo come in with two drumsticks in each hand, which suddenly explained everything. And Stephen Stills's "Black Queen", which is just brilliant improvisation by a man out of his head on Tequila.
Life & Style blogs
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised
The quiet diplomat: Catherine Ashton - recognised and admired in all the world’s troubled countries, yet ridiculed at home
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 1 Bad cattitude: Family call police after crazed and 'hostile cat with a history of violence' attacks baby before attempting to 'flee custody'
- 2 Family forced to flee home after discovering 'terrifying' nest of spiders in bananas
- 3 First Kiss: Filmmaker gets 20 strangers to make out on YouTube with awkward results
- 4 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 5 Bob Crow death: 'Admired by his members, feared by employers' - Tributes pour in for RMT union leader and 'working class hero' Bob Crow
£20000 - £25000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: One of the largest mobile advert...
£20000 - £23000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: Our client specialises in creati...
£30000 - £50000 per annum + Very Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: Private Cli...
£30000 - £35000 per annum + Very Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: Residential...