Preview: An eye on ...; national celebrations
Wednesday 12 November 1997
National Curry Day: The Firkin Brewery in Birmingham chose National Curry Day on Monday for the launch of their new brew called Dogbalti, described as a "curry-flavoured ale". The recipe includes fresh ginger, chillies, coriander and cumin. A spokesman said: "Beer and curry go great together, so we decided to combine the two". According to the 1998 Good Curry Guide, 18 per cent of the population eat curries regularly, compared with only 16 per cent eating fish and chips. Of the 2.5 million diners who visit curry houses every week, one in six choose chicken tikka masala. 90 per cent of "Indian" restaurants are owned by Bangladeshis.
Life & Style blogs
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
Migrants in Kos: Photos show real tragedy after Brits abroad complain of 'awkward' holidays
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'
- 1 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 2 Maisie Williams has an excellent message for one confused fan
- 3 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 4 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 5 Tampon tax scrapped in Canada after petition convinces conservative government
£14000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity for the ...
£14000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Full time Administrator/Secreta...
£16500 - £18500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the leading Mercedes-Ben...
£27500 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...