Preview: read joystick nation
Saturday 06 December 1997
Platformers, sims, shoot-em-ups and the rest are already serious rivals to the music and film industries, and despite their youth, certainly deserve this first serious attempt at a history.
Like the arcade classics of the 1980s, JC Herz's account is smart, stimulating and cleverly packaged, as a collection of essays rather than a linear account. Skip as you may from the early geeks playing Pong to the corporate console wars between Sega, Atari and Nintendo, or from adolescent memories of Pac Man to modern-day Mario and Lara Croft. You just can't help but keep feeding in the quarters.
`Joystick Nation' is published by Abacus on 11 December, priced pounds 9.99
Life & Style blogs
British Muslim leaders outraged after Eric Pickles says followers of Islam should 'prove their identity'
UK terror fears: My jihadist son returned from Syria mentally scarred – now he is being ignored
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
Billy Crystal: 'Stop shoving gay sex scenes in my face'
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
David Cameron says anyone criticising Eric Pickles' letter to Muslims 'really has a problem'
- 1 Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
- 2 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 3 Nineteen-year-old student left gifts for parents before taking her own life
- 4 Deliberately urinating before sex can increase risk of urinary tract infections
- 5 Winston Churchill: From accusations of anti-Semitism to the blunt refusal that led to the deaths of millions
£15000 - £50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Fantastic opportunities are ava...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Compute Engineer is required to join a globa...
£25000 - £28000 per annum + 25 days holidays & pension: Ashdown Group: PHP Web...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Based in London, Manchester, Br...