Progressive : WORDS
Not so many radical thinkers, in and out of school, would call themselves "progressive" today. For the Victorians it was an earnest word, as it had nearly always been since its coinage in the 17th century. ("Forward, forward let us range," cried Tennyson.) J S Mill wrote of "the progress of human affairs" as a Good Thing, which had brought nations out of tyranny. Later the United States was to spawn a succession of political parties labelling themselves "progressive", an obvious hurrah-word; and it has served well for a number of reforming movements in South Africa.
But progress can be bad as well as good. Now that many of us are getting more cynical by the week, people who declare that they believe in progress begin to sound naive. Ask someone to think of the noun they first associate with progressive and they might well answer "disease".
Life & Style blogs
Guest post by Richard Sexton, business development director of e.surv chartered surveyors
Plus lateral thinking and living on London's waterways
Other popular areas include Didsbury, Clifton in Bristol, central Cambridge and West Bridgford
Living with Google Glass: what are they actually like to wear?
Microsoft's Xbox One: Have the price (£399) and release date (30 November) been leaked by online retailer Zavvi?
Splint made by 3D printer used to save baby’s life
The 10 Best road-trip gadgets
Google Glass: First images taken on Google's new glasses appear on Twitter
- 1 Exclusive: Woolwich attack suspect attended meetings of banned Islamist group - and were known by security services
- 2 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 3 Grace Dent: I’m not sure how these people can avoid being called ‘bigots’. And the more ‘civilised’, the worse they are
- 4 Woolwich murder: They killed, then they performed - these men should be starved of our attention
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL will seek to exploit this evil crime for their own evil ends
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.