QUIZ OF THE WEEK
Sunday 10 January 1999
1. Virgin Rail, McDonald's, boxer Herbie Hide and natural gas - which is the odd one out?
2. Who got the first televised sum of 1999 wrong?
3. Which sex symbol's sexuality was questioned?
4. Why is a dog's life a happier one?
5. How did US warplanes take no wickets from an over?
6. What do Bill Gates, Cambridge University and Saudi suspected terrorist Osama bin Laden have in common?
7. Which football star transferred to another's books for pounds 2 million?
8. Why is Johnny a lucky boy at breakfast time?
9. Who does Rachel Hunter no longer find sexy?
10. Which goods has Cuban President Fidel Castro allegedly managed to export despite the US embargo?
Answers at foot of page
ANSWERS TO THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK
PICTURE QUESTION: Three nesting pairs of rare black redstarts threaten to halt work on the Dome. 1. Natural gas: while known gas reserves increased to the point where they could provide the world's power for the next 70 years, a Virgin train ran out of petrol, McDonalds out of Big Macs, and Mr Hide reportedly out of money, as he was declared bankrupt. 2. Carol Vorderman on Countdown. 3. Samantha Fox after she attended a lesbian pageant. 4. Researchers have just created meat-flavoured Clomiclan, the first anti-depressant for dogs. 5. By firing missiles at Iraqi warplanes, all of which missed. 6. All are billionaires. 7. Fever Pitch author Nick Hornby, who signed for Penguin. 8. Jenny McCarthy, voted sexiest woman in the world, is to stand in as co-presenter of The Big Breakfast with Johnny Vaughan. 9. Her husband Rod Stewart, whom she is leaving. 10. Illegal drugs.
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
The Lockhart, restaurant review: Brad McDonald has picked up the south-western ball and kicked it out of the park
Unpaid make-up artists reveal the ugly side of Miss World
Pirelli calendar 2015: First plus-size model Candice Huffine is featured alongside Adriana Lima and Natalia Vodianova in a fetish-themed shoot
Christian Louboutin launches £495 nail polish
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
'Muslims pre-date Columbus in discovering America,' says Turkish president Erdogan
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Former Tory PM Sir John Major says 'we would not have an NHS without migrants'
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 3 Lana Del Rey rape video: Marilyn Manson denies involvement in shocking leaked footage
- 4 Kenya bus attack: Al-Shabaab militants kill 28 non-Muslims who failed to recite Koran
- 5 Largest ever study into the gay gene 'erodes the notion that sexual orientation is a choice'
£45000 - £65000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join a successful an...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Digital Sales Account Manager...
£20000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Trainee Sales Account Manager...