QUIZ OF THE WEEK
Sunday 10 January 1999
1. Virgin Rail, McDonald's, boxer Herbie Hide and natural gas - which is the odd one out?
2. Who got the first televised sum of 1999 wrong?
3. Which sex symbol's sexuality was questioned?
4. Why is a dog's life a happier one?
5. How did US warplanes take no wickets from an over?
6. What do Bill Gates, Cambridge University and Saudi suspected terrorist Osama bin Laden have in common?
7. Which football star transferred to another's books for pounds 2 million?
8. Why is Johnny a lucky boy at breakfast time?
9. Who does Rachel Hunter no longer find sexy?
10. Which goods has Cuban President Fidel Castro allegedly managed to export despite the US embargo?
Answers at foot of page
ANSWERS TO THE QUIZ OF THE WEEK
PICTURE QUESTION: Three nesting pairs of rare black redstarts threaten to halt work on the Dome. 1. Natural gas: while known gas reserves increased to the point where they could provide the world's power for the next 70 years, a Virgin train ran out of petrol, McDonalds out of Big Macs, and Mr Hide reportedly out of money, as he was declared bankrupt. 2. Carol Vorderman on Countdown. 3. Samantha Fox after she attended a lesbian pageant. 4. Researchers have just created meat-flavoured Clomiclan, the first anti-depressant for dogs. 5. By firing missiles at Iraqi warplanes, all of which missed. 6. All are billionaires. 7. Fever Pitch author Nick Hornby, who signed for Penguin. 8. Jenny McCarthy, voted sexiest woman in the world, is to stand in as co-presenter of The Big Breakfast with Johnny Vaughan. 9. Her husband Rod Stewart, whom she is leaving. 10. Illegal drugs.
Life & Style blogs
New £3 pill that will help stop you drinking too much available on the NHS
Dame Vivienne Westwood: The former Queen of Punk may now be an establishment pillar, but her work is still controversial – and much copied
Revealed: Lidl’s £4 perfume smells identical to Chanel’s £70 scent - but the difference is in the bottle
Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
Coke milk? Coca-Cola to launch premium milk brand called Fairlife
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict
- 1 I'm A Celebrity 2014: Jungle security stepped up after murder and 'suspicious death' near to camp
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Jeremy Hunt: 'I took my children to A&E because I didn't want to wait for GP appointment'
- 4 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
- 5 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
£35000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Required skills include SQL querying, SSRS, u...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Ashdown Group: C#.Net Developer - C#, ASP.Net, HTML...
Negotiable: Argyll Scott International: Senior Business Analyst - Insurance ...
£25000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This independent, growing Sales...