Sunday 02 November 1997
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (PG). Drenched in garish, hyperreal colours, Jacques Demy's 1964 musical hasn't aged particularly well - which may be part of the appeal for its fans. Left pregnant when her mechanic boyfriend departs for military service in Algeria, Catherine Deneuve's young shop-girl reluctantly marries a diamond merchant. All the dialogue - mainly crushingly banal - is set to music (a sappy score by Michel Legrand). A bittersweet tale that's mostly sugary, it's best seen as a pop-art curio, or, if you prefer, as a triumph of deranged interior decoration.
Life & Style blogs
The 10 Best Scotch Whiskies
Resurgence of TB poses grave threat worldwide
25 years of the World Wide Web: Tim Berners-Lee explains how it all began
GIF inventor Steve Wilhite says it should be pronounced 'jif'
'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers
Ukip and Nigel Farage on course for remarkable victory in European elections
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Tony Benn was entirely ineffectual - and usually wrong
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
The rise of Ukip: Study warns Labour that Eurosceptic party's electoral base now 'more working class than any of the main parties'
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Did jetliner fly into area controlled by Taliban? Net widens after claims final satellite signal could have been sent from the ground
- 4 Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers
£1000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: A full service agency, focused around plan...
£44000 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: A Top 10 practice in the h...
£50000 - £60000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: PMO Lead - £50k - ...
£21000 - £35000 per annum: Randstad Education Cambridge: Randstad are currentl...